2 Inch Or 3 Inch Cake Pans?

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

mistymamas Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

What is better to use? 2 inch deep pans, or 3 inch pans?

Most of the pans I have bought have been 2 inch pans (all round so far). Most bake up to the top, and I trim to make flat. However, I recently bought a 2 inch 9x13 rectangular pan, filled more than half full, and when it came out the sides of the cake did not bake to the top, and the middle was huge. I even used a flower nail to distribute heat. After I trimmed the HUGE hump off to get it level, my cake was no where near 2 inches high.

So my question is is it better to get the 3 inch pans for square or rectangle cakes? I was always worried that the 3 inch wiuld take too long to bake and make the edges crusty.

6 replies
cricket0616 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 7

I personally do not like the 3 inch pans for the reason you descirbed. Maybe you should try using more than one nail flower and double check the pan was filled properly. I find that when I pour the batter in there is a hump in the middle unless I take the time to smooth it out.

Win Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 7

I HATE my three inch pans, but keep them around because I have some odd sizes in them. Now, I just put less batter in and bake it as if it is a two inch cake. Much better results. For squares and rectangles in 2" pans, you can fill them a little higher than you would expect for them to go level to the top. I've never had the hump appear as you described. Maybe that was a fluke...?

Rosie2 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Misty, well I prefer the 3 inch pans mainly because after I trim the top and tort I want to be able to end up with a good size cake. However, they do take longer to bake and I've had some disasters, in the past, and I've blaimed it to the fact that my pan was too deep (3inch)...
Another issue I have is that my oven's heat element is not leveled (it's an old stove) and one time I tried to bake 2 pans (2inch each) and one baked the other one didn't bake...so my solution was to switched to 3 inch pans.

Anyway, I don't know what the experts may tell you but those are my reasons.
Good luck,

mistymamas Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much - now I dont feel bad now for not using 3 inchers. Ill stick to the 2 inch pans, and just fill a little more with batter. I need those baking strips...

Rosie2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymamas

Thanks so much - now I dont feel bad now for not using 3 inchers. Ill stick to the 2 inch pans, and just fill a little more with batter. I need those baking strips...

Yeah, the baking strips do help to bake even/leveled cakes...I still cut some from the top of my cakes, but not so much.
Good luck!
Rosie

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 7

I have both 2" and 3" pans, and always use my 3". I never have a problem with crusting issues, and I always use bake-even strips.

I guess it's just a personal preference. What works great for some may be not-so-great for others.

Happy bakin'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%