Fondant Molding And Painting Help, Please?

Decorating By percussiongrrl Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm by Price

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a Mary Kay cake for my friend/hairdresser who does MK. She's an amazing woman, so I want her to have an awesome cake.

Here is what I would LIKE to do:

6" Round cake, covered in MMF, probably white. Then I would like to model MK lipsticks, maybe a compact, and a brush and arrange them on top.

Here are the things I'm worried about/don't know how to do:

I use MMF and LOVE it....will it model and stay put together? What do I have to do to it so that it will stay together?

How do I paint details on the fondant? I have tried mixing coloring with piping gel and painting it on, but it stays sticky and i don't want that.

Any other tips/ideas on this are WELCOME (please?)!

Thanks for being patient with me, I'm learning and I have no better resource than right here!

7 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

I've never worked with MMF, so I'm not sure. But I do modeling with MFF and I just dip it into my container of gumtex and mix that in until it's a stiffer consistency.

To paint on fondant mix your color with vanilla extract. The alcohol in the extract will dissolve for the most part.

Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 8

You can model with MMF. If you need to stick pieces of it together, use meringue powder mixed with water, or a little bit of tylose dissolved in water. You can also stiffen up the MMF by kneading in some tylose (or gumtex if that's all you have).

Paint it with gel colors mixed with vodka. The vodka evaporates, which makes the gel colors dry faster. And if you have some luster dust you can use that for the eyeshadows in the compact.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Texas - Rose. I make edible glue from water and a little Tylose powder mixed together. One word of caution. Use just a small amount of the edible glue on you pieces. If you use too much it will take longer to dry and be slippery and your pieces will slide apart before they dry together.

percussiongrrl Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 8

at the risk of sounding like a total beginner (which I kind of am, in this area), what is Tylose? and can I get it at hobby lobby or JoAnn? Those are my only two options here unless I want to drive to Indy or Ft. Wayne.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 8

Tylose is a gum, similar to gum-tex but works better and smells less. It comes from the cake decorating supply shop or you can order it online. You can use gum-tex instead. Hobby Lobby has 40% off all Wilton stuff with the coupon you can print out on their website, this week only. So if you go tomorrow, your gum-tex will be cheaper icon_biggrin.gif I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and they've started selling Lorann emulsions. I bought Princess emulsion and the cashier must have thought it was Wilton because he took 40% off of it too.

percussiongrrl Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #7 of 8

Thanks, so much, Texas Rose! Provided I am feeling better tomorrow, I'll be off to Hobby Lobby. I think all my recent stress has caught up with me, I've been sick all day! I'll try to order some Tylose sometime soon, as well. Does anyone have a favorite place to order from?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 8

Global Sugarart has great customer service. I have also purchase things from CountryKitchen, Bakers Kitchen, Into the Oven, and have been satisfied with each one of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%