Wasc Non Stick Spray With Flour?

Baking By Kookie Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm by Kookie

Kookie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 13

I am sorry but this is very basic question but
when you make WASC, do you use spray and flour both or just spray the pans?

12 replies
grandmom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 13

I have used shortening and flour, and a baking spray alone (the kind with flour in it). On one occasion I sprayed too much baking spray and the exterior of the cake was a little wet. I'm not going to use it again. Instead I'm going to try a recipe of the homemade "cake release" where one uses equal parts of flour/shortening/oil.

DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 13

I use Crisco spray with flour on all my WASC cakes, which is my most used recipe. I also place a piece of parchment on the bottoms of all my pans (wherever possible).

It's time-consuming enough cutting the parchment (although I'm pretty fast, now). I couldn't imagine having to brush cake release on all my pans, too!

For round pans, I just hold them sideways over the sink, with the inside of the pan facing me, spray around the inside, closest to the sink, toss to turn, spray, toss to turn, spray, DONE!

It works best if you let your pans sit for at least 20 minutes after spraying. Otherwise, bubbles may remain that could make tiny holes in the sides of your cake. Doesn't bother me at all, but some people don't like it.

Kookie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 13

The reason why have asked is because after baking, I let it sit for 8 minutes for 8x8 pans then used a metal spatula goes around the sides.
after that, sticky stuff came off from the batter or pan then stick to spatula.
When I flipped over, the sides were not smooth but crumby.
What did I wrong?
Thank you.
kookie

DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 13

Why did you run a spatula around the insides? The cake should not have been sticking to the pan at all if you used the non-stick spray with flour.

What probably happened was the fragile cake was damanged by the spatula.

If you spray the inside sides with non-stick spray, then line the bottom of your pan with a piece of parchment, your cakes will practically fall right out of the pan. (Not really... you should still lift the pan off slowly and gently icon_smile.gif )

Kookie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Why did you run a spatula around the insides? The cake should not have been sticking to the pan at all if you used the non-stick spray with flour.

What probably happened was the fragile cake was damanged by the spatula.

If you spray the inside sides with non-stick spray, then line the bottom of your pan with a piece of parchment, your cakes will practically fall right out of the pan. (Not really... you should still lift the pan off slowly and gently icon_smile.gif )




I don't know but I always have to run a spatula around.
I have this problem for all of my cakes.
What am I doing wrong?
Today I baked 8x8 WASC for 50 minutes, 325F

Thanks.
kookie

erinalicia Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 13

running the spatula around the sides of the cake is causing the problem. You are tearing the sides because the cake is still hot. Try not doing it next time and you'll see the difference. I always use the baking spray and I've never had a problem, I let the cake cool for about 10 minutes and then flip it out onto the cooling rack.

Kookie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

running the spatula around the sides of the cake is causing the problem. You are tearing the sides because the cake is still hot. Try not doing it next time and you'll see the difference. I always use the baking spray and I've never had a problem, I let the cake cool for about 10 minutes and then flip it out onto the cooling rack.




I don't want to run the spatula but the cake is not totally separated from the side of pan. I can see the sides are not really solid golden brown and
half way stick to the pan.
Do I need to bake longer?

Thanks.

erinalicia Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #9 of 13

are you testing the center to see if the cake is done? My cakes aren't dark down in the pan either, but they always come out. have you tried just flipping the cake over on your cooling rack without running the spatula around? it will release if you used enough spray or whatever you use. If your cakes test clean in the center then the sides are done. They get done before the centers.

Kookie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:20am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

are you testing the center to see if the cake is done? My cakes aren't dark down in the pan either, but they always come out. have you tried just flipping the cake over on your cooling rack without running the spatula around? it will release if you used enough spray or whatever you use. If your cakes test clean in the center then the sides are done. They get done before the centers.




O.K. I will try that next time.
Actually, I am baking now..
I will let you know how it turns out.
Thank you.

Kookie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

are you testing the center to see if the cake is done? My cakes aren't dark down in the pan either, but they always come out. have you tried just flipping the cake over on your cooling rack without running the spatula around? it will release if you used enough spray or whatever you use. If your cakes test clean in the center then the sides are done. They get done before the centers.



It came out slowly.
the sides are not crumby but 3 sides broke then put them back to the cake.
It is hard to explain but since there is a paper on the bottom , bottom was easy to separate from the pan but not side so during coming out , the side broke. Hope you understand.
Do you spray thickly?
Thanks.

erinalicia Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #12 of 13

I put a pretty good coating on the pan. I'm not stingy with it. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. Maybe you're not using enough?

Wish I could be a better help. I just haven't had any problems with any of my cakes with I use the spray. I use it for everything.

Kookie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 13

Hi erinalicia,
Thank you for helping me.
I think I will try to use wilton release pan.
Thank you very much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%