Calling All Canadian Cake Decorators

Decorating By seeshores Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm by lilscakes

seeshores Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 15

I was wondering what kind of fondant you use.....the only fondants available to me here in the town I live in are:
Dawn
Wilton
virgin ice
if you have tried any of these 3 which one or ones did you like the best?

Any other fondant I would have to order online and shipping is crazy!!!

14 replies
kanwal Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 15

I use McCalls fondant. I think it tastes better and the Wilton brand. You can buy it from their store and warehouse. There is also another brand that an instructor recommended. I think it's called ADM but not not 100 % sure.

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 15

I use fondant from Dawn foods which is called Decorrice.It smells like cotton candy and is really nice to work with.

Wilton is plain Yucky...

Satin ice is okay but I found the colored fondant to be a bit dry.

There are a few new Canadian websites that carry fondants now..Here is their links!!

w w w .f l o u r c o n f e c t i o n . c a
w w w. c a k e m i s c h i e f. c o m

mrswendel Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 15

I used to use Satin Ice, but now I use Golda's fondant. I order it or pick it up from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.

cake-angel Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 15

There is also a company in Ontario called Essence Cakes that makes a great fondant. Virgin Ice is a very nice fondant as well.

-Tubbs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I use fondant from Dawn foods which is called Decorrice.

Me too. I like it, but find it expensive. Would love to find a cheaper way to buy it.

traceyjade Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 15

Why not make your own, so much cheaper, tastes way better and there are great recipes on this site. thumbs_up.gif

val_nutrimetics Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 15

Hey!

Until recently I always used Virgin Ice. I really like the taste and how easy it is to work with. Plus you can buy it in larger quantities (which works out quite a bit cheaper). Recently I have been using Satin Ice (as there is now a supplier not too far from me). They are actually pretty similar in taste.

HTH,
Valerie.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 15

I use Virgin Ice (from Bulk Barn) or McCall's for white, and I have used McCall's black and chocolate as well. The black was very soft - needed to mix with Gum Tex to get it firm enough to roll and transfer to cake - but the chocolate tastes like Tootsie Roll. MMMM.

For small amounts of colour, I've used the Wilton pre-coloured fondant in a pinch. It's a great red, yellow, blue and green. Haven't tried the pastels.

I think the only other fondant I've tasted was DecoIce (I think that's what it was). It tasted wonderful! But it can be a bit pricey. And I've been told they will not deliver to just anyone - you must be a registered place of business. Your home business is fine, so long as you are a registered, fully working business.

HTH.

AverageMom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 15

I'm glad to see some Canadian websites listed, since I am hours and hours away from any craft stores. I can't really help the OP, I make my own fondant. The only other option up here is Wilton's, and I can't stand it!

dsilvest Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #11 of 15

I tried Virgin Ice and McCalls fondant and didn't like either one. Now I either make MMF or my own version of MFF and like them much better. It is also my way of getting a work out. LOL

ebear Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #12 of 15

Hi..I make MMF..It tastes yummy and very inexpensive to make.
Interesting to know that the Bulk store sells fondant. I didn't know that. You learn something everyday on this site! icon_smile.gif

laney19702 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #13 of 15

I make my own, cheaper and it tasted soooooooo much better than Wiltons. have not tried any of the others yet though

muddpuppy Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 15

I stricktly use McCalls, but that's just because it's the least expensive.. kind of secretly hate all fondants.. lol

lilscakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

I used to use , but now I use Golda's fondant. I order it or pick it up from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.

.....ditto....I love Golda's! Awesome service and they carry just about everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%