Calling All Canadian Cake Decorators

Decorating By seeshores Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm by lilscakes

seeshores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seeshores Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 15

I was wondering what kind of fondant you use.....the only fondants available to me here in the town I live in are:
Dawn
Wilton
virgin ice
if you have tried any of these 3 which one or ones did you like the best?

Any other fondant I would have to order online and shipping is crazy!!!

14 replies
kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 15

I use McCalls fondant. I think it tastes better and the Wilton brand. You can buy it from their store and warehouse. There is also another brand that an instructor recommended. I think it's called ADM but not not 100 % sure.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 15

I use fondant from Dawn foods which is called Decorrice.It smells like cotton candy and is really nice to work with.

Wilton is plain Yucky...

Satin ice is okay but I found the colored fondant to be a bit dry.

There are a few new Canadian websites that carry fondants now..Here is their links!!

w w w .f l o u r c o n f e c t i o n . c a
w w w. c a k e m i s c h i e f. c o m

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 15

I used to use Satin Ice, but now I use Golda's fondant. I order it or pick it up from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 15

There is also a company in Ontario called Essence Cakes that makes a great fondant. Virgin Ice is a very nice fondant as well.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I use fondant from Dawn foods which is called Decorrice.

Me too. I like it, but find it expensive. Would love to find a cheaper way to buy it.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 15

Why not make your own, so much cheaper, tastes way better and there are great recipes on this site. thumbs_up.gif

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 15

Hey!

Until recently I always used Virgin Ice. I really like the taste and how easy it is to work with. Plus you can buy it in larger quantities (which works out quite a bit cheaper). Recently I have been using Satin Ice (as there is now a supplier not too far from me). They are actually pretty similar in taste.

HTH,
Valerie.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 15

I use Virgin Ice (from Bulk Barn) or McCall's for white, and I have used McCall's black and chocolate as well. The black was very soft - needed to mix with Gum Tex to get it firm enough to roll and transfer to cake - but the chocolate tastes like Tootsie Roll. MMMM.

For small amounts of colour, I've used the Wilton pre-coloured fondant in a pinch. It's a great red, yellow, blue and green. Haven't tried the pastels.

I think the only other fondant I've tasted was DecoIce (I think that's what it was). It tasted wonderful! But it can be a bit pricey. And I've been told they will not deliver to just anyone - you must be a registered place of business. Your home business is fine, so long as you are a registered, fully working business.

HTH.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 15

I'm glad to see some Canadian websites listed, since I am hours and hours away from any craft stores. I can't really help the OP, I make my own fondant. The only other option up here is Wilton's, and I can't stand it!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #11 of 15

I tried Virgin Ice and McCalls fondant and didn't like either one. Now I either make MMF or my own version of MFF and like them much better. It is also my way of getting a work out. LOL

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #12 of 15

Hi..I make MMF..It tastes yummy and very inexpensive to make.
Interesting to know that the Bulk store sells fondant. I didn't know that. You learn something everyday on this site! icon_smile.gif

laney19702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laney19702 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #13 of 15

I make my own, cheaper and it tasted soooooooo much better than Wiltons. have not tried any of the others yet though

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 15

I stricktly use McCalls, but that's just because it's the least expensive.. kind of secretly hate all fondants.. lol

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

I used to use , but now I use Golda's fondant. I order it or pick it up from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.

.....ditto....I love Golda's! Awesome service and they carry just about everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%