Sand Castle Cake...helppp

Decorating By kingamy1 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm by cncgirl00

kingamy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kingamy1 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 9

Okay I am very new at this and I have made so far ONE cake! HAHA! it turned out very cute and was not too troubling. any how I want to make my niece a sand castle cake for her beach birthday I was thinking of using MMF but I don't think it will hold up in the sept. heat and the beach does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use to achieve the sand castle look that might hold up? and also how should I make the towers? Thanks so much! God Bless!

8 replies
CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 9

It should do fine. I made a MMF cake that sat in the CA July heat at the beach and it was fine for a few hours.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 9

Hi,

I haven't made this yet, but I bought the Planet Cake book the other day and they have instructions for making sand icing and they are as follows:

Mix 150g (5 1/2 oz) of royal icing and 70g (21/2 oz) of unrefined caster sugar (we also call it golden caster sugar in the UK). Mix in one drop of brown food colour at a time until you get a sand colour.
Apply the sand icing with a palette knife to your board or cake immediately as it will start drying quickly and become rock hard.

The best way to make the towers is to make them out of gumpaste. I roll out a thin strip and wrap it around my small rolling pin and let it dry. Once it is dry you will have perfect sturdy towers for your cake.

I hope this helps.

kingamy1 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 9

you guys are AWESOME thank you soooo much!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 9

I agree that fondant is probably the best for holding up in the heat.

I used to make sand using brown sugar, but I really hate the gritty texture. I recently converted to grinding up vanilla wafers and cinnamon graham crackers in the food processor. The mixture tastes great and isn't gritty. You could mix that in with some tan royal icing and spackle that onto tan fondant. I think it would make a nice sandcastle finish.

HTH
Rae

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 9

I got this tip from another cc'er. It worked out for me to "glue" cookies together with royal icing then cover in fondant to make the towers.

kingamy1 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 9

this is going to be a wonderful cake...did you custom make the cookies a certain way or buy a certain type?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:13am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingamy1

did you custom make the cookies a certain way or buy a certain type?

To get away with it as inexpensively as possible, I went to Wal Mart and bought the vailla sadwich cookies (Great Value brand). I think they were less than $1.50 per package. I bought two packages, but I don't think I opened the second package for four turrets. Here's the pic:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1435900

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 9

Here's a link to an awesome sand castle cake tutorial:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sand-Castle-Beach-Theme-Wedding-Cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%