Wooden Dowel Character Support

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 1:01am by brian1974

brian1974 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 4

2 quick questions...

The airbrush colors , can they be used to brush paint with?

Secondly im attempting to build a 3d stand up character model out of RKT.\\
I know that the whole thing requires wooden dowels to make the skeleton of the shape in order to support the rkt .
So im going to need to attach dowels to other dowels to make the shape which im assuming id screw the dowels together.
Is there a recomended wooden dowels to use that are food grade safe , the smae with screws?
ive not done this before and i dont fancy poisoning anyone icon_smile.gif

3 replies
brian1974 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #2 of 4

no one done anyting like this before?

Malakin Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 4

I don't believe anyone sets out to poison anyone, but hey, I'm in the medical field....
When I do "RKT needing support, I usually use the wooden dowels by Wilton. I do know that for the bigger figures, ones requiring arms, one usually uses the cream color PVC pipes for hot water plumbing as they are food safe. I've never heard of any screws food safe.
I personally haven't attempted to paint anything by hand with my americolor airbrush colors. I do know that when I do accidentally smear them, they streak, they're more runny, and more transparent.
Good luck.

brian1974 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 4

i watch the cake boss like others on here - ihave noticed when he builds the large 3d models that he secures the bottom dowels or stucture using screws i wondered if this was an issue or not?
or am i missing something he is doing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%