Sweetsbym Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hi! icon_biggrin.gif
I'm Baked.
M

14 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 15

Hi there sweetsbymicon_smile.gifAre you *sure* your oven is level? That is the most likely cause.....your floor or the oven it's self is not level.

catlharper Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 15

An unlevel oven rack is my problem so I go ahead and let the cake dome so I can trim it till it's level. Works better for me and my family gets to eat the cake trimmings! LOL!

Sweetsbym Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 15

Hi kakeladi icon_biggrin.gif
maybe there is something wrong with the recipe ratio? here's the recipe for the unleveled cake:

1 3/4 Cups APF
2 cups sugar
3/4 Cups Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 c veg. oil
1 cup choco chips
1 cup milk
1 cup boiling water

bake at 350. grease and flour pan.
Combine dry ingredients. add eggs oil milk. beat in medium speed for 2 mins. add choco chips mix well with spatula then lastly add boiling water and mix well. bake for around 40 mins.

I'm really really curious what causes this thing. icon_biggrin.gifThanks!

Sweetsbym Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 15

Hi catlharper. I suck at cutting the dome big time. I really find it hard cutting and leveling the cake icon_redface.gif

Queenguba Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 15

Sweetsbym, is it rising the side closest to the element or heat? With the dome, a hint i got on here was when you take the cake out of the oven, place a clean teatowel on top & press dome down, this evens out the top minimising wastage. Just be careful of any steam that may escape. Hope this helps.....

wakeandbake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 15

i use the wilton bake even strips around my cake pans and that helps alot with the "doming".

eperales0411 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 15

Hi, it sounds like your oven might be not be leveled. I also like to use
the baking strips from wilton, they work pretty well. Good Luck!

Gingoodies Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 15

I agree with kakeladi...something is not level. Could be the oven rack. Might be the pan. Could even be how you put your batter into the pan. I have issues with my oven too. I used a carpenter's level to check my racks and it looked ok. But I still have issues with some of my cakes. I really think sometimes its how I fill the pans.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 15

sweetsbym - I level my cakes in the baking pan, that is the only way I can get a nice level cake. I also use the bake even strips on the pan so my edges come up high enough instead of just under the height of the pan, along with using a flower nail for the larger layers. HTH

leily Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 15

so I had a long post with examples and stuff but it got lost when I hit submit. So long story short.

Are you cooking with a convection oven? Some ovens have a strong air flow and can cause the cake to bake higher on one side b/c of the air moving around it (not all and I have baked in both)

It may not have happened with your pound cake because it is a heavier batter and wasn't affected by the air ciruclation.

just another possibility.

leily Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 15

just curious, did you ever find out what was going on with your cakes?

Rorion Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 15

I am having the same problem with my cakes and I cant figure out why they are sooo uneven on one side its big difference in the amount too

yortma Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 15

I notice this even more so with cupcakes in my convection oven.  I turn cakes and cupcakes around half way through baking and they come out nice and even.  Even so, i almost always wind up leveling the cakes

live laugh cake Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 15

AI have this problem too! What i do is if one side of the cupcake is hanging off the side of the cup i cut it to fit and place that piece on the shorter side! Then coated the cupcake thicky with jcing! No one noticed (i asked people)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%