Tylose

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm by marknelliesmum

MrsMabe Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 4

I'm going to model some people out of fondant for the first time soon (eek! lol). I've read to add some tylose to the fondant to firm it up. I've got a few questions though.

Using Wilton fondant, how much should I add?
Using MMF or MFF, does that amount change?
I haven't decided which to use yet.

What exactly is tylose, and where would I find it? I live in the UK for now, so either a UK store or the internet would be my options.

Thanks everybody!!

3 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 4

Hi
I'm in Scotland and i use cmc sugarcel (aine2 uses this and if it's good enough for her to model with.... icon_biggrin.gif ) i add about a tea spoonful to a very large fist size of good quality fondant from cake supplies store not the supermarket. The following link (if it works) explains the differences between tyloser, gum trag etc.

http://thesugarlane.com/2009/05/12/whats-the-difference-tylose-powder-cmc-powder-trag-powder-gum-tex/

HTH

MrsMabe Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks marknelliesmum! That link was very helpful icon_smile.gif

Where do you buy yours?

marknelliesmum Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 4

Hya
My local cake shop (birthday/wedding cakes, balloons etc not bakers) stocks some decorator supplies so i get it in there but it's readily available on line - should cost you about £2 or there abouts. Let me know if you have problems sourcing it and i'll send you some.
x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%