Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm by marknelliesmum

MrsMabe Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 4

I'm going to model some people out of fondant for the first time soon (eek! lol). I've read to add some tylose to the fondant to firm it up. I've got a few questions though.

Using Wilton fondant, how much should I add?
Using MMF or MFF, does that amount change?
I haven't decided which to use yet.

What exactly is tylose, and where would I find it? I live in the UK for now, so either a UK store or the internet would be my options.

Thanks everybody!!

3 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 4

I'm in Scotland and i use cmc sugarcel (aine2 uses this and if it's good enough for her to model with.... icon_biggrin.gif ) i add about a tea spoonful to a very large fist size of good quality fondant from cake supplies store not the supermarket. The following link (if it works) explains the differences between tyloser, gum trag etc.



MrsMabe Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks marknelliesmum! That link was very helpful icon_smile.gif

Where do you buy yours?

marknelliesmum Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 4

My local cake shop (birthday/wedding cakes, balloons etc not bakers) stocks some decorator supplies so i get it in there but it's readily available on line - should cost you about £2 or there abouts. Let me know if you have problems sourcing it and i'll send you some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%