How Do I Get This Look???

Decorating By Katie9812 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm by auntbeesbaking

Katie9812 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 14

A bride sent me this photo wanting this cake...she loves the look of the sides of the cake...can anyone tell me how to get this look?
It sort of looks like sheets of chocolate...but I'm not sure.
HELLLLLP!
Thanksicon_smile.gif
LL

13 replies
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 14

There's a sticky about it or maybe it's in the articles area. Yes it's chocolate panels and squares are much easier than rounds.

You get mylar (plastic that comes on rolls) in the art section of your local craft store --and pour melted chocolate onto the plastic mylar and apply it onto the cake. There's some finesse here that you'll wanna practice--chocolate is all about temperature.

The shinier your plastic the shinier the chocolate.

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 14

well, that would be pouring chocolate out to make sheets and trimming to sizes needed while still semi-set.

then placing them one by one onto the cake -- a soft BC that hasn't crusted would be the "glue"

hint- tilt them up into place, using a stiff piece of cardboard to support them as you do.

this video, while talking about small items and using patterned transfer sheets, gives the basic principle of how to achieve a large piece of chocolate.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/videos/chocolate_transfer_sheets_cutouts.aspx

in your case -- clear acetate (no pattern) and you'd be cutting out pieces the size of the each side of each cake tier.

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 14

the two threads K8Memphis- alluded to:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-396793.html (click on link in first post -- it goes to same site I referenced, but a different video)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-56654.html

While both of these talk about round cakes, for a square cake, it's just cut out the panels the correct size (remember measure TWICE, cut once) and then let them fully harden before placing on the cake (sort of like dry walling the cake in chocolate!)

notjustcakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 14

If you don't want to have to worry about tempering your chocolate, use white candy wafers (like the Wilton)...I've done this and it is much easier to work with IMHO...great effect though....kinda sleek looking..better than some of my sloppy cakes lately...

Katie9812 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 14

Okay this doesn't look so bad!
Can you buy something to give it the texture?? Because there is no real pattern to teh design I'm looking for, it's more of a texture...

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 14

can't see the texture in the supplied photo.

might be able to use an impression mat that has the desired texture instead of acetate sheet to pour the chocolate on.

Katie9812 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 14

I just found what I'm looking for...I'm in Canada so I always have trouble ordering anything without incurring duty charges...
Here's where I ordered them from:

http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/c227935.2.html

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 14

great find -- definitely bookmarking that!

pbeckwith Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 14

So, how does a cake like this get cut? Does the chocolate have to be taken off first?

Katie9812 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 14

pbeckwith: Ok I was just coming on here to ask that same question!

Bump!

What should I tell the bride? Take it off before cutting?!!?

alanaj Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #12 of 14

I did it on a round cake and just cut right through it. It cuts pretty easily and the white chocolate tastes good with the cake. In that case you'll want to use a good quality chocolate though, not the melters.

Katie9812 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 14

One more thing...how much chocolate would I need to cover that whole 3-tier cake...I'm doing a 14", 10", and 6" square.
Any ideas?

auntbeesbaking Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

well, that would be pouring chocolate out to make sheets and trimming to sizes needed while still semi-set.

then placing them one by one onto the cake -- a soft BC that hasn't crusted would be the "glue"

hint- tilt them up into place, using a stiff piece of cardboard to support them as you do.

this video, while talking about small items and using patterned transfer sheets, gives the basic principle of how to achieve a large piece of chocolate.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/videos/chocolate_transfer_sheets_cutouts.aspx

in your case -- clear acetate (no pattern) and you'd be cutting out pieces the size of the each side of each cake tier.

Thank you Doug for that reference. I went to their site and watched the cake videos for fun and learned some new techniques! I NEVER would have thought of filling a sheet cake the way they did but OMG it's much easier than the way I do it!! icon_surprised.gif

BTW, C.K. is my FAVORITE cake supply store! Whenever we go to Ft. Wayne we stop! My kids groan when they see the parking lot because they know it'll be a few hours (unless they drag me out sooner). They just get upset because it makes our trip back to MI that much longer! icon_lol.gif

You blessed my day, thank you! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%