Tye Dye Cake - Need Ideas

Decorating By Diesel Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm by JGMB

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 6

So I have a friend who's daughter is turning 16 and wants a two tier cake that is tye dye on the bottom tier and yin yang on the top. She joked she's going to go off and save the world in her own hippy way.
Anyway, I told her I would probably need to cover the cakes in MMF (I usually just do BC) and she was okay with this as they like the MMF. So, I'm totally struggling with how to do the tye dye and need ideas. I do not have an airbrush so that is out of the question. Do I just take multiple colors of MMF mesh them together and then roll out???

Help!

5 replies
kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 6

im not sure about the decorating but colouring the inside of the bottom tier to look tye dyed would be a nice suprise.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 6

You could paint the tye dye with gel colors mixed with vodka.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

Hi There,

If you are using fondant then you are best adding gel colours whilst you are kneading the fondant to give you this affect. Colour it first in the main colour you want and then start mixing in colours. It will give it a marble look but if you add more colours in one spot, you could get it to look tye dyed. Don't over work it once you have the colours in otherwise it will look all mixed together. It will be a great affect if you get it right and I am sure you will ! icon_smile.gif

Best of luck,

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the ideas!
I thought about painting it but I'm not that great/confident in doing that. Luckily I only use gel colors so I think I'm going to try a test run this weekend since the cake is for next weekend.

Too bad you can't do it like you would for a T-shirt icon_smile.gif-

Thanks again.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 6

I just wanted to let you know that, since you said you normally work with buttercream, it can be done! I haven't ever tried it, but here are 2 photos with instructions. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325506

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1432488

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%