Oh Man... Ugliest Cake Ever!

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm by Williamus

DefyGravity Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 15

I've been looking at CakeWrecks all morning just to make myself feel better.

My dad wanted me to make him a cake so he could show his appreciation for his employees for all the work during inventory. I had the bright idea to make the little Blue Light guy, because I think he's cute.

Wellll....... I couldn't ice the cake for anything. I tried a spatula and my bench scraper and nothing was making that cake look smooth. Then, my rope border looked like crap, and I'm always awesome at rope borders. Then, I practiced writing on a napkin (I suck at writing, but I was happy with how it came out on the trial run) but when I went to put it on the cake, it was weird and off center. (This is why you shouldn't write on a cake at 2 am, boys and girls.)

The FBCT of Blue Light guy went really well, from a technique standpoint, but the colors intensified in a weird way I hadn't planned on. The blue didn't look full incorporated, and had purplish undertones (I'm blaming Wilton for that) and the "dark gray with flecks of white reflection" came out solid black with random white parts that made him look like a skeleton! The "dark rosy" color his tongue was supposed to be came out neon pink!

I don't even want to put this on my Facebook like I do for all of my cakes, because I'm so embarassed by it.

Anyway, here's my abomination:

14 replies
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 15

seriously, had I not read your story, I wouldn't have known you had issues with it. Your blue guy is super cute!

Queenguba Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 15

I think he is cute. We are always our worst critics....

tiggerjo Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 15

I seen your cake before I read this and found no fault. You're being a little rough on yourself.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 15

Oh it's adorable--it's a great cake.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 15

Very cute! I love his expression.

hensor Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 15

I think you are being way too hard on yourself. I don't think your cake is bad at all.

DefyGravity Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks guys. I think there may be a direct corrolation between how late I stay up on a cake and how well I like it icon_wink.gif

My dad asked me late on Tuesday if I could make it for him for this morning (He originally wanted 2 cakes, but I talked him down to 1 cake with more layers), so it turned into an all night project.

Thanks for letting me vent, and thanks for the support icon_smile.gif

DefyGravity Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 15

Well, I called my dad to see how everyone liked the cake, and he said everyone thought it was really cute and delicious. It makes me feel better, but I doubt anyone would tell the boss "Ya know, this part looks funny. Tell her to work on it next time" haha. When I called him, he was just sitting down to eat a piece with his boss, so hopefully everyone enjoyed it. I cheated on my diet and tasted a scrap of it with the BC and a smidge of the leftover filling, and it was mighty tasty.

It sounded like everyone really appreciated it, and that's all that matters.

Again, thanks for letting me vent this morning icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 15

Little Blue Light dude is super cute!

Uniqueask Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 15

I think he is really really cute

iownajane Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 15

Not knowing what he's supposed to look like at all...He's REALLY cute...not messy at all...and you should see my piping!!! Your cake was cute!

cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 15

I think it turned out great. I never would have known you had any issues either.

As someone said earlier, we really are our own worst critics!

CambriasCakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:40am
post #14 of 15

I was expecting to see a really ugly, jacked up cake....this is super cute! I see nothing wrong with it at all! And I seriously doubt if any of your dads co-workers found any flaws in it either!

Williamus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 15

It's cute...let it go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%