Making Fondant Or Gumpaste Shapes For The First Time

Decorating By Angie2009 Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm by Price

Angie2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie2009 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:25am
post #1 of 4

So I'm hoping that I will get some help and encouragement!

I am a terrible artist - I can't draw a stick person to save my life! but I would like to make some animals (giraffe, zebra etc.) for a jungle/safari type cake that I have in a couple weeks. No idea where to begin. I'm very nervous about trying to shape them because as I said I can't even draw.

Any tips, advice, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:38am
post #2 of 4

Hi Angie

The first time I had to make some models I was really worried they would look rubbish.

I think the thing you have to keep in mind is to keep them simple.

Break them down into easy bits. By that I mean don't try to get exact shapes for parts of the body. Generally speaking most bits can be made with a ball or sausage shape for limbs.

Paste extruders that push fondant through a tube under pressure are great for things like hair or tails.

Also you could probably get a book purely about modelling for all the basics.

These fairies are basically a ball for the head, sausage shapes for everyhting else.Their dresses are attached before attaching the arms and it just looks like sleeveless dresses.

Give it a go, I really like doing them now

Hope this helps

Amandax

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 4

Angie, I use polymer clay instruction books. Look on the web for how to in clay. I don't worry about making each animal perfect> I feel it gives them more personallity. Debbie brown has a great step to step book.Once you get started you won't need the books. just let thhe creativity flow.
good luck

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with the previous replies. I love the Debbie Brown Books and also have many of the polymer clay books.

I used fondant mixed with a little bit of Tylose powder. Some people prefer using 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, others use all fondant or all gumpaste. I think it really depends on what you get used to. If you use straight fondant your figures will take longer to dry.

Aine2 is in my opinion the expert in modeling. She has lots of videos. Here's a link.

http://vimeo.com/aine2/videos/rss

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%