Help With How To Stack This One

Decorating By Kitty310506 Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm by Doug

Kitty310506 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:23am
post #1 of 6

Hello, I've had a request for a cake for a father's 60th birthday. The themes they would like to see are the Rat Pack, football (English) and a pint of beer. so far they have been very keen on having a large base cake with images transferred on of the Rat Pack and I will probably pipe some song lyrics as well. The middle tier is fine being a sphere and the only special request on this is the Arsenal football team logo - again not a problem. They then would like a beer glass on top of the football. What would be the best way to stack this? Should I run long dowels through the football right to the base or would it be best to dowel each cake individually (obviously I know I have to dowel the football cake through the base one first).

Any ideas on this or on achieving a realistic beer glass would be gratefully received.

5 replies
venuscakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:12am
post #2 of 6

Hi I would run a dowel right doen to the base.

I would also secure it in the base itself. You can do this by using 2/3 cake drums which gives you a nice looking deep base ( can use for example 1 10" drum stacked on 2 12" drums stuck together).

Also it allows you to drill a hole part way into the base which the dowel can go into. You need to make sure the dowel fits very snuggly into the hole so it does not move around.

Then you have to make holes in any cake cards on other tiers and slide the tiers down the pole into place.

It does sound like a faff do to but I once had a very tall cake topple and the extra bit of work is a very small inconvenience compared with the nightmare of having to go to a recpetion and try to salvage a cake disaster in front of 500 guests.

Anyway if your cake is not too tall you probably don't need to go to those lengths.

Had a thought about the beer glass although it would not be edibe.

You could get one of the plastic beer glasses and make a hole the same size as the dowel.

Once in place you could fill the glass with brown coloured piping gel whcih does have little air bubbles in it and then pipe some runny white butter cream on top.

Would just have to check the buttercream doesn't sink into the piping gel

beachcakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:36am
post #3 of 6

Great idea! You could also use colored gelatine for the beer. Once it sets you can pipe the RI on top.

venuscakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #4 of 6

oh yeah, didn't think of that. It would work really well

Kitty310506 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much. Great idea about using the different drums. It will help improve the overall impact of the cake which is for a big party. Unfortunately, they want the beer glass to be edible - have you any idea how pulled sugar would work. I have never used it but I was wondering if a golden coloured sugar might be rolled out and then set round a form glass.

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 6

think of a beer glass as simply 2 or more tiers of cake carved a bit.

the tiers would be 6" or so around at the top and then carved down to say 4" at the bottom --

sort of a tall stretched version of a topsy-turvey tier but with a flat, not tilted top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%