Food Safe Gloves?

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm by Mike1394

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 11

I was just watching last Sunday's Food Network Challenge Sesame Street Cakes and noticed one of the decorators was wearing blue gloves. Does anyone know if who makes those gloves? I have some Esteem surgical gloves and am wondering if they are food safe. I have done my research online and not been able to figure it out. Anyone know if another company makes blue food safe gloves that would not be the Esteem surgical gloves? Thanks for the help!

10 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 11

Let's put it this way: if they're fit to be shoved inside human guts, they're probably fit to handle food with. I use the vinyl gloves that you can buy at the drugstore when I need to wear gloves; it surprisingly helps wih my piping when I'm using butter-based icings. (I have hot hands.)

Possibly, the person wearing the gloves on the show had a latex allergy.

If you're really REALLY worried, you could always email the manufacturer ans ask them?

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:52am
post #3 of 11

I get mine in the bandaid isle of Walmart because I wanted the same thing and asked a pharmacist (sp) about it being food safe and they said that they are just fine. Mine are the blue Reli On nitrile. These have been great when making fondant or coloring fondant or really just to keep everything as germ free as possible. Good luck!

p.s. just make sure they don't have powder inside cause thats kinda an ick.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Let's put it this way: if they're fit to be shoved inside human guts, they're probably fit to handle food with. I use the vinyl gloves that you can buy at the drugstore when I need to wear gloves; it surprisingly helps wih my piping when I'm using butter-based icings. (I have hot hands.)

Possibly, the person wearing the gloves on the show had a latex allergy.

If you're really REALLY worried, you could always email the manufacturer ans ask them?

I have to tell you, that line cracked me up!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 11

most restaurant supply outlets (like a GFS Marketplace store: http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/ ) will have them.

as pointed out the blue ones are nitral based and good for those with laytex sensitivity.

you can also get vinyl gloves.

should look for NSF seal ( http://www.nsf.org/ ) as then know for sure it is food safe.

I use Food Handler brand vinyl gloves I purchased at a GSF Marketplace store.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 11

Has anyone tried the ones they sell at Costco? There is a coupon for them and it says they're food safe.

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:

Let's put it this way: if they're fit to be shoved inside human guts, they're probably fit to handle food with.

*LMAO* Valid point. I think sometimes we get a little wacky with the food safe thing. I'm just as guilty as the next when making my cake...and then I turn around, drop my pretzel, and eat it off the floor. Pristine for customers, 5 second rule for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:

I use the vinyl gloves that you can buy at the drugstore when I need to wear gloves; it surprisingly helps wih my piping when I'm using butter-based icings. (I have hot hands.)

Great idea! I hadn't thought of doing it for that reason, but I can melt buttercream with my hands in mere minutes. That might really help!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 11

[quote="varika"]Let's put it this way: if they're fit to be shoved inside human guts, they're probably fit to handle food with

That's really funny

But lets get back to the serious side of things which is the OP's Question and I hope I am not hurting anyone' feelings I am just trying to explain the gloves that are bought in the pharmacies etc, are sterile, there are non sterile gloves which are made from component materials which comply with FDA regulations for food contact

Unfortunately I cannot tell you the name, not because I do not want to but because it is not on the box, but I can tell you that the box is white with blue writing on it, I got it from the culinary program I graduated from and I know they ordered it from sysco and on the bottom it says The disposable gloves contained in this dispenser are for industrial NON- MEDICAL use only and are not warranted or gauranteed expressly or implicitly as to their fitness for any user's particular purpose function or application HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 11

I think this is what you are looking for http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/Disposable-Nitrile-Powder-Free-Gloves.html They are FDA approved.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the link I was trying to find them also

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

I use the vinyl gloves that you can buy at the drugstore when I need to wear gloves;

I know everyone knows that as soon as the cake comes out of the oven everything from there forward needs to be handled with gloves on.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%