Gum Paste

Decorating By tatorchip Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 12:20am by tatorchip

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #1 of 18

I was wondering if you can eat gum paste flowers
if you can is it tasty
if you can't what do you tell the customer, what do you do with it when you take it off
Thanks in advance
Deborah

17 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 18

yes they are edible, not very good and hard as a rock, so i would tell them that so they don't break a tooth

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 18

Just tell them that gumpaste dries very hard, and while it is made of sugar, and is edible, you don't recommend eating it because of how hard it is.

tatorchip Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 18

thanks ninatat and Texas_Rose, I didn't want to make anyone sick and I will tell them about how hard they are.
So there is no need to add flavoring either. lol
Thanks yall
Deborah

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 18

No, you don't need to add flavoring. And they won't make anyone sick if they eat them. They shouldn't eat them if there are any wires though...although my sister and her coworkers once picked out the wired stamens on the flowers on her cake and ate the flowers...why, I don't know, but they did. icon_biggrin.gif They weren't kids either. One thing you can tell your customer is that they can save the flowers for a long time...the flowers will keep forever as long as they don't get wet or broken.

tatorchip Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 18

Thanks Texas_Rose lol sounds like my daughter she would have to try it also I am sure but I'll try to keep her from trying. I will ask my customer if she wants to keep them or not and let her know they can last a long time. I just hope that no one tries to eat them anyway lol. By the way do you ever shop for cake things in Houston. If you do where is the best place. My hubby and I will be going later this month, he has meetings and I will shop. We live in La. Yeah I am cajun lol
Thanks Deborah

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:43am
post #7 of 18

Hey Deborah,

Yes they do have cake shops in Houston. I haven't been to any yet as I've only been here for just over a month (not including the time spent in the hotel looking for a place to stay) and still settling in.

This is what I have found on-line:

http://www.makeacakehouston.com/
http://www.amazingcakesupplies.com/products.html
http://www.cakecraftshoppe.com/
http://www.rosescakedepot.com/services.nxg

and I know that the Houston Cake club meets at Larry's Arts & Crafts.

Hopefully someone that's been to some of the stores down here will be able to give you some feedback.

tatorchip Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #8 of 18

Thanks xstitcher, I will have to check out some of those places, I'll get hubby to put in his GPS. thanks much that will give me a start.
Thanks again
Deborah

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #9 of 18

Hi Tatorchip: I really like Cake Craft Shoppe, they are friendly and helpfull and have a great assortment of everything!! I live in Richmond so it is the closest one to me but still far, so when I go I just load up on colors and cutters to try. They also have classes and the Frost-a tiers cake club meets there. I'm hoping to be able to join since my dd is starting kindergarten this year icon_biggrin.gif

tatorchip Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #10 of 18

Hi Raquel1, thanks I checked out the site and they have fat daddios and I have been wanting to try that brand, and tons of other things.
Thanks again
Deborah

xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #11 of 18

Your Welcome Deborah.

P.S. Look into Magic Line, especially the square pans.

tatorchip Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:07am
post #12 of 18

Good pans xsticher? I will have to give them a try also then. Thanks

xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:12am
post #13 of 18

IMO the best around, especially the square. They give you perfect corners. I love their round ones too. If they carry both at the store check them both out and decide for yourself. I think a lot of members will agree though. Just do a search on ML vs FD vs Wilton pans, there have been a lot of threads started on just this topic alone.

xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #14 of 18

I just did a quick search and these are the threads that popped up. I haven't actually read any of them though icon_lol.gif :

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-fsearch-results.html

tatorchip Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:20am
post #15 of 18

cool xstitcher I will for sure check it out, I value your opinion, you helped me in the past, I will check them all out, all I have right now is wilton pans. My daughter just bought me three at a garage sale for $1 each only one had a little dent on the outer lip. lol
thanks again

xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:45am
post #16 of 18

Well you can't beat that price, unless it's free of course icon_lol.gif !

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 18

I've been wating to change my wilton pans for Magic Line. I got the 14" round and they works really well. I have to try the square ones to see real difference. The best price for magic line is in Amazon.com, they always have great deals going like no shipping and recently a buy 2 get 1 free! the round ones I got ended up being the same price I would have paid for wilton with a 40% off coupon at hobby Lobby and they are made better, more "solid" and heavier feeling.

tatorchip Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #18 of 18

I will check out amazon also unless I find some for free lol xstitcher

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%