Foam Cores

Decorating By Kookie Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 6:05am by Texas_Rose

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

when you use foam cores, do you cover them with plastic wrap or something else?

Is it o.k. to use 1/2" foam cores for all 6", 8", 10" and 12"cakes?
I think someone says 1/4" is enough to hold 6" or even 8" cakes but then
each tiers has different hight if I use different thickness of foam cores.
what would you do?

Thanks.

4 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #2 of 5

I too want to know. I actually remember there was an old thread about this, but I dont remember what was said icon_sad.gif I am going to be using foam core for a cake this wknd. I was planning on just covering it with wax paper...I hope this is the right way to do it. Hopefully, someone else will give us the correct answer icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:49am
post #3 of 5

Cover it with plastic wrap or press and seal wrap. Waxed paper might not be too great because it's slippery and also it does strange things when it comes in contact with grease.

I use 1/4" foamcore for most things. It's strong enough for the tiers. For the bottom board I usually will glue 2 pieces of 1/4" together and then cover with fondant. The last cake that I made was pretty heavy (a 12" heart and the two halves of the sports ball pan)...the corset cake in my photos...and I did the whole thing on a single layer of foamcore, then after it was done picked it up and put it on the decorated board, and the foamcore didn't feel like it wanted to bend or buckle at all.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:01am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Cover it with plastic wrap or press and seal wrap. Waxed paper might not be too great because it's slippery and also it does strange things when it comes in contact with grease.

I use 1/4" foamcore for most things. It's strong enough for the tiers. For the bottom board I usually will glue 2 pieces of 1/4" together and then cover with fondant. The last cake that I made was pretty heavy (a 12" heart and the two halves of the sports ball pan)...the corset cake in my photos...and I did the whole thing on a single layer of foamcore, then after it was done picked it up and put it on the decorated board, and the foamcore didn't feel like it wanted to bend or buckle at all.

I was planning on using the 1/2 foam core under my cakes buttercream the whole thing to add extra height to it. And I am planning on transferring the whole thing (2 tier) to a silver cake drum. How do you cut the foam core?? Do you just use an exacto knife?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #5 of 5

I have a box cutter. It's got a handle like a pocket knife, and it folds for storage. I've never tried cutting 1/2" foamcore with it, but I assume it would work for that too. It came from Home Depot (and it's purple icon_biggrin.gif which is how I ended up with it, long before I needed to cut foam boards for anything)

Some people use a hot knife, which you can buy at the craft store, but for accident-prone people like myself, the box cutter seemed like a better bet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%