Brainstorming Needed

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm by janebrophy

MnSnow Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 13

Ok I have a Stanley Cup wedding cake coming up. I have it all planned out and hopefully it goes without a hitch.

What I need brainstorming on is how would you go about making the cup/bowl on the top? What can be used as a form or a mold?

I attached the picture and hopefully you can see the detail.

Thank you so much!
LL

12 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 13

You could mold a mix of fondant and gumpaste over a regular bowl the right size and shape for your project. Just dust the bowl well with cornstarch, and let the fondant/gumpaste piece dry for a few days. You might have to make a spare in case one breaks. I've done smaller bowls that way and they didn't break, but I'm not sure about a larger one.

janebrophy Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 13

I think there are instructions on exactly that method in one of the Wilton wedding cake books...let me know if you need them, I'll look it up.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 13

I have to do one of these in a few weeks too...I just plan to do the gumpaste bowl like mentioned above...use another bowl as a mold.

megmarie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 13

You can watch how they did it on Ace of Cakes at fancast.com - there is a whole stanley cup episode!

MnSnow Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:13am
post #6 of 13

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Janebrophy- I'd really appreciate that icon_smile.gif

Megmarie- Thanks for that info. I did go to the site and watch the episode, however it did not show the making of the bowl icon_sad.gif

I was thinking of using a pyrex bowl inverted and dusted with crisco and cornstarch and maybe lifting it and turning it slightly to give that appearance similar to the design in the pictures. Do you think that would work?

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 13

if you have tools for making gumpaste flowers, use one of those to make the creases in the bowl.

janebrophy Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 13

OK, Here are the directions from the book,
They use a mini wondermold, but a bowl would do the same thing, only bigger...

1. For top half of vase, roll out gum paste and shape over outside of mini wonder mold cavity that has been generously dusted with cornstarch.

2. Remove from outside of pan and place on inside of pan to hold shape. Cut hole in bottom centre using a white plastic dowel rod; remove cut circle and let dry completely. For bottom half of vase, use a 2 inch ball of gumpaste and press in inside of mini wonder mold pan; flatten, smooth and shape to create a cup approx 1 1/2 inches high. Cut hole in bottom centre using the plastic dowel rod. Remove cut circle, unmold and let dry on waxed paper that has been dusted w/cornstarch. Let dry at least 2 days before assembling.

3. To assemble vase, cut dowel rod 4 in long and insert into bottom half of vase. Mold 2 basket trims using gum paste and planters mold set. wrap around dowel rod.

4. Position top half of vase over dowel rod and secure with royal icing.

I tried to take pics of the pics in my book, but my camera isn't cooperating!

MnSnow Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 13

Great Idea Doug but the bride wants cornelli lace swagged around the top edges of the bowl.

Jane- Which Wilton book is that from? I may have it

Yuo guys rock!

janebrophy Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 13

It's from Wilton Wedding Cakes, A Romantic Portfolio.

Very standard book, not expensive, and available everywhere. The instructions are on P. 93
HTH

megmarie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 13

Ops! icon_redface.gif Sorry about that, it's been awhile since I've seen that one. At least you got a nice 25 minutes of down time in!

MnSnow Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much Jane!!!

Megmarie- Not really sure what your talking about but perhaps you got the wrong post icon_smile.gif

I'm off to experiment with bowls. WIll post pictures when the cake is done and Thank you all so very much!

janebrophy Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 13

Do post a pic! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%