Virgin Ice Fondant Very Soft

Decorating By gerripje Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 3:13am by Cake_Princess

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I just bought some Virgin Ice fondant for the first time and it seems to be very very soft. What can I do to firm it up? I have a little left over Wilton fondant, but I DO NOT want that taste to be transferred to it at all. I'm wondering if it's just because of the warm weather or something like that.

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 11

I've never heard of Virgin Ice fondant.

I know that BlakesCakes (on here) uses 2/3rds Satin Ice and adds 1/3 Wilton to it. It firms up the Satin Ice. I'm pretty sure that the Satin Ice holds it's flavor.

Good luck!

gerripje Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 11

Thanks, maybe I will experiment with a little bit. I think this fondant is made in Canada and can't say I've heard of it before seeing at the new Bulk Barn in town today. They also have hi ratio... YIPEE!!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:10am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

Hi, I just bought some Virgin Ice fondant for the first time and it seems to be very very soft. What can I do to firm it up? I have a little left over Wilton fondant, but I DO NOT want that taste to be transferred to it at all. I'm wondering if it's just because of the warm weather or something like that.

I use Virgin Ice. I find it is becomes very soft when it's overworked or if it's kept in a very warm location.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:52am
post #5 of 11
Quote:

Thanks, maybe I will experiment with a little bit. I think this fondant is made in Canada and can't say I've heard of it before seeing at the new Bulk Barn in town today. They also have hi ratio... YIPEE!!!

When did the Bulk Barn open up in Alberta? They must be pretty new. I grew up with them around in Ontario but when I was in Alberta (left again last year) they still didn't have them out there. I know they carry hi ratio shortening in the bulk section as I had my MIL bring some out to me when I was still in Calgary.

I hope your fondant firms up for you. I've read the same thing as cylstrial on CC about using Satin Ice/Wilton fondant and apparently no taste change. Just try it on a small piece and try it out (taste test).

gerripje Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 11

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it in Lethbridge! I live about a 1/2 away and don't always get to town much and I guess it's been open for just a couple of months. The last time I checked the website, the furtherest one in the west was Regina. I was happy, but the first time I saw it was 15 minutes after it closed! It was warm yesterday and hopefully it will firm up some today.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 11

Looks like the Lethbridge location is the furthest west they have gone. I wonder if they'll move into Calgary anytime soon.

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 11

I absolutely hated working with Virgin Ice. No matter how much icing sugar i added it never hardened up. I've used Satin Ice and so far that is my favorite.

gerripje Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 11

Uh oh... I was afraid of that. I haven't tried anything with it yet, the cake I'm making is for next Wednesday, so I should get it together soon if I have to make some. I wonder what would happen if I added some tylose?? I guess there's only one way to find out lol!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:00am
post #10 of 11

Adding Tylose to it will essentially create gum paste.

If you go with a 1/3 wilton + 2/3 "other"/soft fondant, you'll get very workable fondant that tastes great.

HTH
Rae

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:13am
post #11 of 11
Quote:

I am sorry I forgot to mention this before, however, if your fondant is a bit soft from over working it or warm hands just let it sit uncovered for a bit. It will start to dry out and get hard. Then you can start to work it again. Or add a piece that you have not kneaded yet to the soft batch. The trick I find to Virgin Ice is not to overwork it. Once you play with it too much the heat from your hands can really soften it up. I hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%