I'm Stumped... Any Ideas?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm by JulesM7

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 9

I need to do a castle cake that will feed 20-25. Someone please tell me how I can make a cake and have it look regal and impressive when it only serves 20-25?

I've got a couple ideas but then keep getting stumped by the fact that it would only take one 8" square cake. I can definitely fancy up the cake board... but... hummmmm.... without buying a castle kit... what would you use for the columns on the 4 corners? Paper towel rolls covered with fondant?

I'd really love some help brainstorming this. I've never imagined I'd be making such a tiny CASTLE! Seems like an oxymoron to me.

8 replies
TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #2 of 9

I have a castle cake due Saturday as well. For me personally, I don't care how little servings they need. To make my cake look the way I want it to I will be doing a 10 inch tier and a 6 inch tier. I always use the Wilton Castle cake parts so I really couldn't give you advise about decorating without it. Sorry.... Good Luck!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 9

How about using dummies for part of it? Then you can make it as large and regal as you like and it wont wiegh or cost as much.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:49am
post #4 of 9

i've only made one castle cake, and it served over 200, so..... Anyway, for the towers I used rice krispie treats. Mine was a sand castle, so I covered it in buttercream then crushed Nilla wafers, but I don't see why you couldn't use buttercream on it then the fondant.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 9

I used RKT too, smeared a thin coat of bc on them then covered them in fondant. I agree with the other poster, to use dummies on the bottom tiers and have the real cake be the top...that way it can be as grand as you want. Hope that helps.

Sarah

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 9

Great idea about the dummy layers. I have a question - can you use styrofoam sheets that you see at craft stores, cut them to shape and hot glue two together to make them the right height?

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 9

Yes you can glue them. I will warn you, once you start cutting on stryrafoam look out because it makes a huge mess. Also, be carefull placing the dummies because since they are so light you can have a top heavy cake. What I mean is that if the bottom 4" is dummie then you go up 2 tiers with cake, they wieght is all going to be on the top of the cake so moving it can be tricky. When covering a dummy I use piping gel under the fondant. On the one I am doing today I have skim coated it in RI then when it is set up I will put the cake on top of the dummy and add BC to even out any difference between the 2 sections and cover it all in fondant. HTH.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 9

I find that the cake "dummies" end up costing as much or more than real cake. Takes as much frosting and time to decorate, too. Unless I was planning on asking for the dummy layer back I would just make more cake. Just my 2 cents.

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the info - sounds like I might do better to just work with more cake this time. I will keep in mind about making sure to use the dummy layers so the cake is not top heavy if I use them in the future!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%