Fondant With A Talllll Cake

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm by SpringFlour

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a tip for me before I go to cover this bohemouth of a cake I have to do in the morning? I have the vinyl that has been reccomended to roll it out on. I will be on my own so extra hands is out.

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 8

No advice to give. I just wanted to say good luck and you can do it!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks I am going to need it. lol

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 8

Think of the little engine that could and "Yes, I can"!

kyhendry Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 8

I did one last year (http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1261586) that was three 10" cakes tall. I rolled out a long rectangle shape and rolled it up around my rolling pin (one without handles works better for this part - or a big PVC pipe) and then rolled the whole thing around my cake. I wasn't worried about excess at the top or bottom since I could just cut around the cake when I was done.

Of course you'd have to do the top section separate and seam up the edges but that's a heck of a lot easier than rolling a huge piece to cover from the top down.

Hope it helps. icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #6 of 8

I tried the "lay it over the top and smooth it down the sides" method for my Ratatouille cake (six 6" rounds) and it was a total disaster. Literally - there's a pic of it in the Disasters gallery (fortunately I got a pic of it before the fondant fell off!) I didn't think about the fact that all that fondant would have nowhere to go (imagine trying to wrap a tissue over a chapstick container...)

If I had it to do all over again, I would do what I am told is the "Lindy Smith" method. You ice and then freeze the cake (or refrigerate it to rock-hard). Roll out your fondant - it is going to be huge! - and put your cake on its side like a log, and roll the fondant onto it from there. Make sure you leave a big seam in the back as you will need to overlap enough fondant to glue it to itself; this is what keeps it from falling off your cake. For this method, yes, you must use a separate piece for the top.

Pretty much the same thing as kyhendry just described, but with the cake on its side icon_biggrin.gif.

MissRobin Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 8

What size cake is it?????????

SpringFlour Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 8

I did 3 6" cakes (R2D2 in my photos) by wrapping the fondant around the cake, not draping it over the top. It wasn't pretty, but if I had to do it again, I think I could do a better job. You just have to work on the seam to make it not ugly...that's the part I wasn't able to do. icon_lol.gif

I've not heard of the Lindy Smith method. Wouldn't the thawing cake cause some problems?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%