Beginner Looking For Advice!

Decorating By Nadine2135 Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 12:06am by NatalieMarie

Nadine2135 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I am attending a baby shower this Sunday and will be attempting my first "belly cake".

I have the Wilton's soccer ball pan for the belly, and will be going to get the smaller ball pan for the boobs.

What recipes work best for this type of cake? And should I slice the "belly" in half and fill in between the layers?

4 replies
NatalieMarie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

Any sponge cake will work for this pan, and I always line the tin to avoid any sticking.
I always split and fill the halves of ball tins, but that is just my preference.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

Nadine2135 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for your reply!

This is a silly question, but what do you mean by "line the tin"? Like with parchment paper or shortening/flour?

wakeandbake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

i used a pound cake receipe for the "bomb bomb" cake i did. i greased th pans with shortening then dusted with flour and the cake released with no problem. good luck!

NatalieMarie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 5

sorry, yes I mean lining it with greaseproof or parchment paper. If I'm remembering it right, the soccer ball is about 6 inches in diameter and you will need to cut a circle 10 inches in diameter to line it. A 4 inch ball tin will need a 6 inch circle of paper and a 5 inch ball tin will need an 8 inch circle of paper.

If you need them, these are the instructions I use when I'm lining ball tins:

Fold the circle into quarters to find the centre. Open out the circle and cut 3/4 along the folds. Continue to make radial cuts into the circle until you have lots of sections of the circle. Encourage the paper to fit the tin by overlapping the cut sections.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%