Size Of "mini Cake? And Lesson Learned!

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm by -K8memphis

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 6

Can somebody please tell me how big a mini cake is supposed to be? I am in the middle of doing 40 for tomorrow and they look a tad big. They are for my brother's wedding and he wanted "a lotta damn cake" so I guess they'll work, but I'm curious about the normal size.

BTW, I learned a valuable lesson through this process: never do mini cakes! They'll be under the cake disaster forum in the next couple days!

5 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 6

There was an Amazing Cakes episode about mini cakes. She said the next customer would have to pay a lot more!

Sorry, don't know about size.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 6

They are any small size--there's no standard mini cake size.

Is this one cake per serving? How many tiers?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 6

Lol....no kidding. Just what is a mini cake anyways?

There are many pans that bake mini cakes, and many ways to cut them from sheets or regular pans. In my opinion, a mini cake is like two or three bites. Like the amount in a traditional slice, compacted into a cube. I doubt that made much sense...((sigh))

Then some think a mini cake should serve everyone at a table.

Table for 2? Table for 4? Table for the entire McGilluwashum Family? Including Jeb (who you knooooow is gonna eat like 3 people's worth of cake)...icon_biggrin.gif

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 6

We are a family of "Jebs"...I made them 2 1/2" square with 2 1/2" circle on top...double layer of course- they are 5" high! And yes, of course 1 per person. Let's just say it was for my bro who wants a lot of cake! I just got done with them...it only took me 36 hours...no kidding!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 6

36 hours --I believe you, lots of work. Is the square two layers and the circle two layers or is each one a layer? What flavors & icing did you use?

You are providing two to three times the usual size serving so your brother should be very happy.

But I'm glad you got the square one on the bottom or they might not stand up for you. Hope the delivery works out.

I don't think anyone with your great spirit could ever produce a cake disaster. You'll pull it out of any fire I'm sure.

Cake angel blessings on yah not only for the cake but for putting up with brother too!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%