Frosting

Baking By kaitylane Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm by kaitylane

kaitylane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaitylane Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 3

I'm taking a Wilton decorating class, and using the frosting recipe in my course handbook. It's basically water, confectioner's sugar, meringue powder, and white veggie shortening. On following the recipe I had some issues. I added the right amount of ingredients, and my frosting was still too runny to eat. I added more confectioner's sugar, which was recommended by the book. In the end, the frosting with perfect consistency tasted too sweet because of how much sugar I had to put in it. Any way to solve that problem? Some kind of alternative? Thanks.

2 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:47am
post #2 of 3

You could try adding some popcorn salt when mixing your icing to try and cut some of the sweetness.

Some icing recipes do taste sweeter than others, you might want to try and experiment. Take the class recipe to class to learn how to pipe but you could always ice your cake with something else.

kaitylane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaitylane Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 3

I'll give the salt a try! Thank you! That's a really good idea though, I'll ice my cake with something not so sweet, and pipe with the icing from the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%