Modeling Chocolate-Buy Or Make?

Decorating By danar217 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm by drakegore

danar217 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 4

I've noticed modeling chocolate used on the cake shows now. I've never used it before. I've tried to make it and it was a mess! Can you buy it somewhere and how does it taste? I haven't noticed it at Micheals or Hobby Lobby yet. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Is it easy to use. I use fondant but it just seems like mod. choc. would be messier??

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 4

It's actually very easy to make..Just add a tablespoon I think (Can't remember)It's very little though, of corn syrup to melted candy melts.It starts to look like it is seized but you knead it in.If you don't need alot I would make it...If you needs lots you can buy it at most cake decorating supply stores but it is not that cheap.More than fondant!

NatalieMarie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 4

Modelling chocolate isn't particularly messy any more than fondant is, or that is what I have found when using it. This is the recipe that I use:

125g/4oz of dark, milk or white chocolate
2 tablespoons liquid glucose, warmed

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of water. Remove from the heat and stir in the glucose until the mixture is just combined.
Put the paste in a plastic bag and chill for about 1 hour, until firm but pliable.

The paste can be kept tightly wrapped in the bag in a cool place for several weeks. Break off pieces are required and knead until pliable. Roll out on a surface dusted with cornflour.

The only place I have found in the UK that sells chocolate paste pre made is squires kitchen, but I thought it was far too expensive!

I hope this helps

drakegore Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 4

hi danar,
here is a thread that you might enjoy reading on modelling chocolate:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-642127-0.html
lots of information.

i would recommend making semi-sweet chocolate for modelling chocolate instead of chocolate candy melts. the candy melts tend to have more fat and end up a little oily.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%