Flat Top Cake

Decorating By FatCat_036 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm by madgeowens

FatCat_036 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

HELP! How do I get sponge cakes to be flatter on top, mine always have a very rounded top. I have tried making a slight hollow in the mix before putting it in the oven but nothing seems to work. I have a conventional electric oven, not a thermofan.
I tried baking it at a lower temperature and it helped a bit but I'm not sure if it was co-incidence and the next one will have a hump again.
Any suggestions will be most welcome.

5 replies
tiggy2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 6

I bake at 325 and use bake even strips. Depending on the size of the cake I use a flower nail upside down in the center of the pan as a heating core. If you don't have bake even strips you can cut up old towels and soak them to wrap around your pans.

sugarsugargal Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 6

i use bake even baking strips which keep the outside of the cake cooler as it bakes and less of a dome forms, but inevitably you will get some doming, levelling after is what its all about icon_smile.gif...oh and a lower temp does work too, for sure icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 6

BAKE AT A LOWER HEAT, AND THE WET TEFLON STRIPS AROUND THE SIDES HELP TOO....SOME PEOPLE OVER FILL THE PAN AND CUT THE TOP OFF, BUT i DON'T LIKE THAT MYSELF.HTH

MissCathcart Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

Agreed, baking strips have worked beautifully for me over the years. The sides come out moist, and there's no leveling or scraps. Lowering the temp by 25 degrees is something I always do too.

madgeowens Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

I quit using the strips and lowered the temp and I cannot believe how level and moist it is.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%