Flat Top Cake

Decorating By FatCat_036 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm by madgeowens

FatCat_036 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatCat_036 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

HELP! How do I get sponge cakes to be flatter on top, mine always have a very rounded top. I have tried making a slight hollow in the mix before putting it in the oven but nothing seems to work. I have a conventional electric oven, not a thermofan.
I tried baking it at a lower temperature and it helped a bit but I'm not sure if it was co-incidence and the next one will have a hump again.
Any suggestions will be most welcome.

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 6

I bake at 325 and use bake even strips. Depending on the size of the cake I use a flower nail upside down in the center of the pan as a heating core. If you don't have bake even strips you can cut up old towels and soak them to wrap around your pans.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 6

i use bake even baking strips which keep the outside of the cake cooler as it bakes and less of a dome forms, but inevitably you will get some doming, levelling after is what its all about icon_smile.gif...oh and a lower temp does work too, for sure icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 6

BAKE AT A LOWER HEAT, AND THE WET TEFLON STRIPS AROUND THE SIDES HELP TOO....SOME PEOPLE OVER FILL THE PAN AND CUT THE TOP OFF, BUT i DON'T LIKE THAT MYSELF.HTH

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

Agreed, baking strips have worked beautifully for me over the years. The sides come out moist, and there's no leveling or scraps. Lowering the temp by 25 degrees is something I always do too.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

I quit using the strips and lowered the temp and I cannot believe how level and moist it is.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%