Black Fondant

Decorating By erimsy Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm by PuffCake

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 6

can any body tell me how to colour fondant into black, i can only manage a gray shade after using more than half the bottle and then end up with a sticky paste. please help!!!

5 replies
suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 6

I either buy it. That's the best. Or if I happen to have choc. fondant, I color that. It doesn't take too much to get it black. If you're starting with white, good luck!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 6

I buy mine pre-coloured - Wilton for accent pieces and Satin Ice for larger items and covering whole cakes.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

A tip I learned from Bronwen Weber is to start with all of my scrap fondant - those colors you created and didn't use all of, you know.

then start adding black and it's gets black pretty quickly. I've made black before and you just have to keep adding gel paste and more and more then more shortening and more powdered sugar. But, starting with the scraps, it seemed to get darker quicker. Also, let it sit overnight as the black will deepen in color so your dark gray will turn black.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 6

I use 3/4 c Dutch process cocoa in my MFF or MMF recipe. Put the cocoa in before the sugar and stir it well. A couple of GOOD squirts (maybe more) of Americolor SuperBlack and you have black fondant that tastes like tootsie rolls. I used this process with MFF for the black and white wedding cake in my photos.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 6

I make my own marshmallow fondant. I add a few generous squirts of Americolor Super Black gel paste into the mixer bowl with the melted marshmallows before I add the powdered sugar. After I add the sugar, the color lightens somewhat but within a couple of hours the color deepens. Jet black fondant every time! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%