Best Way To Increase Batter Amount

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 30 May 2013 , 6:34pm by ellavanilla

Bethroze Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 10

Having baked out of my home for friends and family, all my recipes are for the usual amount of a three layer, nine inch round cake. I should be moving over to a bakery at the end of the month, and will have larger mixers, more pans, etc. What is the best way of increasing these recipes. Is there a good converter online for baked goods? I've looked at some, and they just multiply every ingredient. I know that can't be correct. Please help...Thanks

9 replies
brincess_b Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 10

i have one basic recipe, double it, triple it, half it, third it, it always works out.
then you have to worry about the size of pan, oven temp and time - but basically with proper heating cores (or flower nails!), a low temp, and a lot of time it should be fine.
but it might take a bit of experimenting to get it figured out for your recipe.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 10

I know that some smaller companies when they decide to expand and get commercial space hire a professional company that specilizes in making recipes for large batches so that large machinery can be used to make larger quantities without changing the integrity of the product..However this is probably very costly to do...Look into it it may be more cost effective than making and throwing out batch after batch of expensive ingredients just to modify the batch sizes.

KoryAK Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not sure what you are asking.... because yes every ingredient needs to be multiplied. It might help to put your recipes into Excel files and then you can use the calculation options there to scale it however you need to. Thats what I do icon_smile.gif

Bethroze Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 10

When baking, I thought that when you multiplied a recipe, you added less liquid than solid for every batch added. I know this works with pancakes. I assumed you wouldn't be equally multiplying all ingredients.

jlsheik Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 10

I use the WASC recipe.....I triple it for my 20 qt changes just everything three times.
Perfect everytime!

topaz176 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with brincess_b

I do the same and NO problems.

e.g. if you have a 10 inch round pan batter,
1 1/2 that is 12 inch pan and
double that is 14 inch pan

works for me!

topaz176 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 10

You can also put water in the pan you are going to use 1/2 to 2/3 full,
to see how many cups of batter you need.

Gusandgirls3 Posted 30 May 2013 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 10

I've done this before minus knowledge and just basically prayed.  I used 3 (XXL, L, small) heart-shaped pans.

Now my recipe is for 3-layers of 8" round cake pans, baked at 350 degrees and I'm making a two layer 13 x 9" pans.

Really appreciate it, iif you can tell me % to increase the batter and do I still use 350 degres.

Many thanks, MJicon_smile.gif

ellavanilla Posted 30 May 2013 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 10

I recommend picking up "the cake bible" by rose beranbaum. there is a master chart, created by rose, which tells bakers how to multiply the master recipe for different size pans. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%