Help With Beach Theme Cake

Decorating By angelholland Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 1:34am by angelholland

angelholland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelholland Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have crushed up vanilla cookies for the top of my beach cake but I want to have the cookies on the sides as well. What is the best way to get the cookies crumbs on the side of the cake so they will stick to it.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 7

Well I remember watching them in bakeries when they wanted to put coconut or jimmies on the sides of cakes and they just held it in one hand and tilted and sort of took a handfull of jimmies or whatever and kinda doused the sides while moving the cake around..Other wise it gets kinds tricky...I know when I am using oreo cookie crumbs on cakes for dirt I kinda toss it or throw it but that doesn't always works so well either.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 7

When I put toasted coconut on the side of a cake- I put it in my hand and pat/press it to the side of the cake. This works well for me.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 7

use a tilting cake stand....I also take my hand and just press them in the ....like keystone said above

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 7

Is your cake covered in BC or fondant? You could brush the sides of your cake with a very thin coat of thinned piping gel which would make the cookie crumbs stick!

Jean

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 7

good point...if its fondant you would either have to put piping gel for them to stick...or I would spritz lightly with water and hold crumbs there....

angelholland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelholland Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the advise. It actually turned out really well I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%