oilili Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me because I am getting lost searching for recipes on the site.
Although I have found good banana cake recipes - and I have just taken my cake out of the oven - I really don't know what kind of filling/frosting could go well with it? I am covering the cake with rolled fondant so it can't be too runny. icon_confused.gif

Any ideas?
Many thanks for any responses.

19 replies
MrsTCHJ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of

I LOVE peanut butter and bananas together. When I make banana cake a use PB mousse as a filling and my regular BC with a couple of spoonfuls of PB thrown in. It's sooo yummy!

bethyboop Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of

you could always do the classic banana and chocolate....

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of

I just filled mine with chocolate mousse (ganache w/ bettercreme folded in). I also like PB or strawberry.

tiggerjo Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of

when I make a spice cake, I frost it with banana frosting..very tasty. maybe you could flip-flop it. I would think allspice in your frosting would do it.

mysonbronson Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of

Not sure if this is to late, but I love peanut butter and banana, or chocolate and banana or strawberry and banana and last would like a vanilla pudding filling kinda like a banana cream pie. Just made myself think of making a banana cake also. Yum

suz3 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of

I'm at work now but I have a marscapone cheese recipe that is to die for if you want it. I could get it to you later. It's wonderful with banana.

keystone Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #8 of

I use cream cheese frosting with my banana cake and it is wonderful!

Linda

JoJo0855 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #9 of

Whenever I get nostalgic I made my granny's banana cake. It's just an ordinary recipe, what she used to set it up is mocha icing. It's an incredible combo.

BakingGirl Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm

Aaaah, the good old banana cake dilemma. Banana cake is one of those things that go with just about everything. I like the following, hopefully they have not all been mentioned already.

Whipped dark chocolate ganache or chocolate BC for filling and frosting.

Vanilla pastry cream is delicious as a filling in banana cake, I would then frost the outside with a chocolate buttercream. Oh, thinking of it makes me want to make it right now.

Finally I like to fill banana cake with a caramel filling, it is pretty sweet so go easy. For that one I like to take some of the caramel and whip it into IMBC to make a caramel icing to ice the outside.

Cakeonista Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm

Banana cake with a coconut creme filling is out of this world. Gives it a tropical taste.

marag Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm

When I make banana cupcakes, I fill them with Nutella, and top them with Nutella buttercream... very tasty!

CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm

Caramel pastry cream and banana cream! YUM!

BakingGirl Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm

CakeandDazzle, how do you make caramel pastry cream?? That sounds very delicious!

kelleym Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm

I use the Cake Mix Doctor's recipe for Quick Caramel Frosting - YUM!!! Can't imagine any other kind with banana cake now:

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes/what_kind/cakes/banana_cake_with_quick_caramel.php

cherrycakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm

Or, you could do a caramel icing - yum!!

mysonbronson Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm

forgot about caramel kinda like a bananas foster.

CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

CakeandDazzle, how do you make caramel pastry cream?? That sounds very delicious!

Sorry Im on vaca so i dont have my recipe... but the one above me sounds good! and im sure more people can suggest more!

cherrycakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm

I just posted the caramel icing recipe in this thread if you want to check it out:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6512704-.html#6512704

oilili Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm

Thank you all for all the replies - I didn't expect to get so many! I now have to decide between caramel, vanilla, Nutella...

But yes, SUZ3, I do want your marscapone recipe!!!

Thanks again thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%