Deposits On 2010 Cake - Need Receipt Ideas

Business By nhbaker Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm by cylstrial

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone.

Rather than go through endless pages of search results (that rarely come up with what you're looking for!), I was wondering what you do or if anyone has a receipt that they use when they receive a deposit for a wedding cake order that is months away. I've recently booked 3 wedding cakes (deposits on their way) for 2010 but none of the brides have yet to decide on any details of their cake (no rush anyway) so filling out my regurlar wedding cake contract is useless as all the information I've gotten is name, address, wedding date & time. The deposit is non-refundable and they are aware of that but I'd really like to give them some sort of documentation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 11

I bought a receipt book from Office Max for about $2. Works well since it's got a copy to stay in the book and one to give them.

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 11

I tell all my brides that they don't have to decide the final details of their cake until 30 days before the wedding. This gives them time to change their minds a hundred million times and I don't have to get a phone call and hear about it every time. Then about a month before I give them a call and we set up the details. Since I do it this way, the details section on my contract just says all details will be finalized 30 days before the wedding. That way, they still have the contract so they can't say they didn't know about something in it and they also have the 30 day information so they don't call me all the time. icon_biggrin.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 11

Cakeboss! It lets you print out receipts, track all of your orders, etc. I wouldn't use anything else now - I'm hooked! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 11

On my general info sheet (I call it the Summary Form), I have a place to record all payments. I may have only their name, email and wedding date, but I can email them a copy of this form that shows "Check #1234 dated 9-6-07, $500". This form also keeps a running balance with every payment posted. This email is the receipt. All of this is kept in the electronic file folder under the date/bride's name.

So if you don't have a place on the contract/order form to record payments, I'd add one there. That way you have all the info in one place and you don't have to worry about tracking those messy little carbonized receipt things.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:52am
post #6 of 11

yep, I only use the carbonated receipt books for quick turnover orders, like sheetcakes, etc. Wedding cakes, get a printed out contract and stuck in their own file, so I can go back and forth to them and make notes, etc. I have one question though. What is the earliest you have ever had a bride book their cake with you? I'm getting people booking for June and July of next year. Is that normal?? Or is that their own fear of not finding someone for their wedding day? lol Just curious! lol

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 11

Depends on the date. 10-10-10 is THE wedding date of next year and I already have 2 booked for it. 6-7-08 was booked over 18 months in advance (but it was my nephew).

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks forall your input -- Yes, I have a place on my regular contract for deposit information, I just thought sending them a virtually "blank" form was silly, and a more simplified deposit receipt would work better. But I agree that it does cover all the basis ahead of time and I can just fill in the blanks later.

Also, about why I'm booking into 2010 - I'm guessing it's because I'm one of only a few wedding cake people in my area and from what I've heard from clients that call me is that "my cakes are the best" so they want to be sure they get me before someone else does!! I just had a MOB call and ask if I could do her daughters wedding cake for this Oct. 3rd -- a date which I've had booked w/two other wedding cakes since early this year! I hate to turn these people away but I've learned (the hard way) that doing more than two cakes for the same day is just too stressful for me!

The only other thing that I'm having a hard time with is pricing. I know what I'm charging per slice now is fine but will it still be for next year. I heard that sugar may be going up and butter certainly isn't getting any cheaper!

[/quote]

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 11

I was at a venue yesterday and they said all the good dates for 2010 were already booked up and they were getting inquiries for 2011. Brides who want the premier places are planning early. The venue person said she was very uncomfortable booking for 2011 because "..... you have no idea what might happen inside of 2 years ... that's a long time span!" I kinda feel the same way. I won't even entertain a bride's inquiry for 2011. It's impossible for us to talk pricing 2 years in advance.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 11

I don't blame anyone for not taking 2011 orders. Sugar could be $2 a lb. by then, lol.

I think one of the small carbon copy receipt books is good for just a deposit. I send the big contract form after their details have been decided, just making sure to have all deposits on there too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 11

Well what if you put something in writing for these brides saying that the price of their wedding cake is subject to change if the price of essential cake ingredients increases? That way you are covering your touche and still planning to make their cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%