Cutting A 3-Tiered Wedding Cake?

Decorating By cwlsims Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm by cakesweetiecake

cwlsims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwlsims Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 9

I have read many posts about how to cut a 3-tiered cake but I am confused about a couple of things.

1. Which layer do you cut first? Top, middle or bottom?
2. If you use a board under each layer won't that take the icing off of the cake that it is sitting on top of?
3. Do you just peel the board off of the layer once you cut the cake, it seems like that might cause the icing to rip off?
4. Do you take the dowel rods out of the cake before you cut?

Thank you for any answers or suggestions you have.

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 9

1. Whichever one the bride and groom made their cut in. There aren't any rules on this sort of stuff. Especially when each tier is a different flavor combo. I usually do the bottom first and move to the next largest tier.

2. Not if you sprinkle coconut flakes, PS, granulated sugar, or have a little circle of parhcment. I have never seen it completely work with parchment however, but what I always do anyways, is make sure the cakes aren't ever really snug tight to each other. There's ever so slightly a tiny gap between tiers. Covered with a ribbon, border, etc. In case of no border at all, then I make sure to use parchment round. The icing comes up a bit. Big deal, spread it out a little before cutting. The cake has served it's "pretty" purpose, now it's time to serve.

3. No, the board comes up with the cake when you remove it from the one below it.

4. Yes.

cwlsims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwlsims Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 9

Spoken like a true cake chef! I am probably over analyzing the entire process because it's my first time lol. Thank you for the post I really appreciate it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 9

indydebi has an example of cutting a tiered cake on her web site www.cateritsimple.com Check it out!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 9

Jamie gave great advice and I would only add that I disassemble the entire cake, then I start cutting the bottom tier first. I like to get rid of the big cake first. If there is any cake left over, it will be the smaller, easier-to-carry-and-store cakes.

Brides frequently ask "which tier do we cut?" and Jamie is right .... there are no rules, they can cut any tier they want ... whichever one is the flavor they want to share first.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

Oh for sure disassemble the cake first, that would be a royal mess if you didn't. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oh for sure disassemble the cake first, that would be a royal mess if you didn't. icon_smile.gif

Oh you wouldn't believe what I've seen in this regard! Oh brother! icon_surprised.gif

Did you ever see the "instructions" where the cake cutter is told to cut the back half of the cake, leaving the front half (from top to bottom) intact so it looks like the whole cake is still there? I heard of one cut this way and the front half fell over onto the floor. icon_lol.gif

Dumba$$es.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 9

OMG....seriously?? Holy crow!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oh you wouldn't believe what I've seen in this regard! Oh brother! icon_surprised.gif

Did you ever see the "instructions" where the cake cutter is told to cut the back half of the cake, leaving the front half (from top to bottom) intact so it looks like the whole cake is still there? I heard of one cut this way and the front half fell over onto the floor. icon_lol.gif

Dumba$$es.

Wow! I love hearing your stories!! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%