What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By crablegs Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm by prettycakes

crablegs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 12

A lady has requested a 3 tiered cake for her triplets 16th birthday. Let me start with the bottom, It will be a 12 x 4 square in vanilla. There are music notes on the cake with the name. On the bottom are several instruments made of fondant. There are also wires coming out of the top with fondant stars and circles. The next tier would be 9 x 4 square in strawberry. This one would have several sports themes around the name(Which each letter is done in a different design). The top will have wires with fondant peace signs. The third tier is 6 x 4 in red velvet. This one just has poka dots around the bottom and around the name. On top of the cake will be a green volkswagon bug made of cake. Then on top of that would be the number 16 in fondant. Sorry this is so long but I wanted everyone to have an idea of what I am dealing with.

11 replies
prettycakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 12

Me, I charge $3.00 per serving. That's is what I can get in my area. If you can charge more I would. I know how much work you are going to be putting into that cake.

The design sounds fun!

Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 12

Let's see a car sculpture should be $100 to $150 yes? Just 'cause it's small doesn't mean it doesn't get the detail huh. It would be deal breaker to my pocketbook but...

You didn't say fondant or buttercream iced on the 3 tier.

I think I'd go about $5 a serving for buttercream--the upcharge should about cover all the requested decor. $6 per serving for fondant covered.

That's plus the car.

I'd upcharge the per serving price with the 'additional fee for decor' because of already charging separate for the vehicle.

That's my thought. How's the Mom getting away with only one car????!!!
Three kid's birthdays in one cake--she's getting a steal!!!

crablegs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 12

how many servings would be in that size cake?

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 12

125-130 plus a handful of servings in the car.

crablegs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 12

how many servings would be in that size cake?

crablegs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 12

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 12

Well it's sculpted--depends-how big you making it?

Probably in the neighborhood of another 15-20 give or take-ish.

How many servings do you need?

crablegs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 12

she didn't say. she just drew a picture of what she wanted.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 12

Stand firm on the price of the car.
A plastic car would be easy and cost effective.
Sculpting one that will be the crowning glory of this cake--kaching kaching kaching and kaching.

Hope all goes well and profitable for you.

catlharper Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 12

I agree...in this area I could get 5 a serving for a cake like that in buttercream and 6 per serving in fondant. Don't sway on your price...this is a lot of work and your time is worth it. If you do actually make this cake please remember to share with us!

prettycakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 12

I am so glad to hear that people are willing to pay more. I am considering upping my prices just because I'm going back to school and don't have time to do as many cakes. I am hoping the higher prices will slow down the phone calls. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%