Transporting Fondant Figures

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm by MrsMabe

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 4

I live in the UK, my family lives in Oregon. I'm going to go back to Oregon to visit in November, which happens to be when my mom's birthday is. So my dad (a retired decorator) and I are working together to make my mom a special birthday cake. I'm excited icon_smile.gif This will be mine and my dad's first cake done together icon_biggrin.gif

Anywho, we've decided to make all our figures out of fondant before I go. That way we don't spend my entire trip wrestling with fondant.

So. My question is: How do I transport them? It will be a total of 15 hours of flight, probably at least one layover along the way. I intend to take them in my carry-on. Should I make them, let them dry, and wrap them in bubble wrap?

3 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 4

That is exactly what I would do. After the bubble wrap, place them in a container that won't get squished and make sure they don't have room to move around in the container. Good Luck. How wonderful to be able to work on this cake with your Dad! Have a great time!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 4

first of all i would check that you will be allowed to transport them as customs can be a bit funny about food products icon_eek.gif if that is ok i would let them dry for at least 2 days then wrap in paper tissue to absorb and colour run that might occure and then wrap in bubble wrap and pack in a plastic airtight container in your hand luggage.

have fun colaborating with your dad icon_smile.gif

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

first of all i would check that you will be allowed to transport them as customs can be a bit funny about food products icon_eek.gif if that is ok i would let them dry for at least 2 days then wrap in paper tissue to absorb and colour run that might occure and then wrap in bubble wrap and pack in a plastic airtight container in your hand luggage.

have fun colaborating with your dad icon_smile.gif

Ooh, thanks for the customs tip. I didn't even think of that.

Thanks to you both for the advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%