Dying Fondant/gum Paste

Decorating By DarlingCakes Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm by catlharper

DarlingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarlingCakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #1 of 4

Everytime I try to dye gumpaste or fondant with gel paste color, it gets totally sticky and unable to be worked with. Am I using the wrong type of color to dye it? What should I use? Thanks!!!

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 4

gel colour is the right one. just a little bit if possible - the more you add, eventually the harder it will be to work with, you might need tot ry adding icing sugar to it to try and solve the problem.
xx

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, gel or paste is the right thing to use. But, as you now know, if you try to add too much, you wind up with a sticky mess. Whenever possible, lightly tint your gumpaste, then paint the item after it dries.

The balloon in this picture was tinted with red gel until it was a dull pink. Then, once it dried, I painted it with red luster dust mixed with confectioners glaze.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1434870&sub=1434873

Personally, when my gumpaste gets sticky, I don't like to add more sugar. I just add a dab of Crisco (white fat) to keep it from sticking. You will also experience less sticking if you wear foodsafe gloves when you knead in the color.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 4

You just have to be careful how much you use at any one time. Make sure to have powdered or "icing" sugar around to add to the fondant in order to stiffen it up again. Work the color in, see if it's how you like and if not then add some more, some powdered sugar if needed, and then work it in again. Try to do this quickly since fondant dries out quickly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%