Please, Please Tell Me You Can Freeze It!

Decorating By phoufer Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 5:49am by phoufer

phoufer Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #1 of 8

Somehow I got my cake dates mixed up and made a 2 tier chocolate fudge cakes with cookies and cream filling today and then as I was putting the fondant on the top tier realized the cake is for next week icon_redface.gif I peeled off the fondant and wrapped the cake several times with plastic wrap then in press n seal. Will the filling be ok when I thaw the cakes out next week? I have frozen filled cakes before but not one with cream it in. Please tell me it will be ok and I won't have to scrap the cakes and redo everything icon_eek.gif TIA

7 replies
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 8

OK. how is your cookies and cream filling made? Rough list of dairy and the ratio of sugar. If it is closer to whipped cream,well, you might have problems. If it is closer to frosting with dairy in it, you will probably be OK.

Need to know to get you an answer.

phoufer Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 8

This is the recipe I use:
2 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
20 crushed oreo sandwich cookies

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:15am
post #4 of 8

I believe when you go to thaw it, the whip cream will run. The water will seperate out. Your not supposed to freeze it, in fact your not really supoosed to keep it in the fridge for to long before use. It waters out and can't be rebeat. The only thing that helps that is if you add gelatin which causes it to stabilize more, but I still don't think you can freeze that.

phoufer Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #5 of 8

I was afraid that was the answer icon_cry.gif I guess I will have to rebake etc. Lesson learned. Check your calendar! icon_rolleyes.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:24am
post #6 of 8

I'm sorry, it sounds delicious though! icon_wink.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #7 of 8

You might not be in trouble. I'm kind of on the fence here. I would freeze right now and make a second batch of cream to pu in the freezer and see what happens when you thaw it. The cornstarch in the Ps will help to stabilize the cream. The cookies may also absorb a lot of any extra moisture, not to mention the extra sugar and stabilizers they add to the filling.

In short, I would freeze and run a sample here. You might not be as bad off as you think. If it turns out bad, you are no worse off for having frozen it now.

Let us know what happens.

phoufer Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:49am
post #8 of 8

thank you all very much. When I made the cakes I had extra batter so I made cupcakes and filled them with the cookies and cream filling so I have put one of those in the freezer and will use that as a test before I try using the cake. If the cupcake doesn't work out I will have time to rebake the cakes. thank goodness the cake isn't due until next week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%