Things You Can't Live Without?

Business By tara22 Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 3:39am by jenmat

tara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara22 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 10

i decorated my first cake just 2 years ago, as a hobby. 6 weeks ago, i signed a lease for a shop and have been working night and day to renovate and get open. i am so excited, but very overwhelmed. i have made numerous lists of everything i think i could ever need.....but i am sure i am forgetting things!
does anyone use anything in their shop that they couldn't live without?
LL

9 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 10

while it isn't necessarily cake stuff-- I find that I have multiple's of office supplies. I am ALWAYS looking for staplers, calculators and tape. It so ridiculous.

I also am in LOVE with storage drawers. Most of my cake tools are organized in them.

Lastly, pampered chef has a dish brush that doesn't lose its prestles and the bristles don't bend. I have one at home and have been meaning to order one for the shop.

Cute shop by the way!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #3 of 10

Although I don't have one, I've heard an Agbay leveler is indispensable. It's on my wishlist!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 10

I own a Agbay and I can honestly say that I can not live without it!!!!!! I think it is a must icon_smile.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 10

agbay, lots of colors, my new complete set of americolor airbrush colors (to paint with... swoon!) Multiples of things like spatulas, brushes, sculpting tools, cutters etc.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #6 of 10

OK, if you have the Agbay, is the similar Wilton one any good?

Notepads - can't live without 'em.

Also, in redoing my kitchen a few years ago, I had a custom island built for my height. The extra room allowed for an extra deep utensil drawer. That drawer that everything goes into.

What is great about it is it fits 2c glass measuring cups upright. Ladles never catch on the drawer. I can stack several packages of nesting cookie cutters. It is like having a toilet you never have to plunge. Don't ask why.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:31am
post #7 of 10

If you have an agbay you will NEVER be able to look at a wilton one again without laughing or crying. YES, it makes that big a difference.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:11am
post #8 of 10

The thing I can't live without is not necessarily cake-related, but I'm sure I'll eventually find a use for it on cakes as well. It is a tiny pair of tweezers called Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper. Intended to remove splinters and slivers from the hands, it is the most useful sewing and craft item I have ever owned. I have four, and I've given one to everyone I know who sews. Best thing ever for picking out basting, ripped out stitches, little pieces of stabilizer used in machine embroidery, on and on.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 10

Your shop is adorable! Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:39am
post #10 of 10

That shop is SOO cute! I love the girly colors!

I guess if you could afford it I would buy only Magic Line pans- 3 inch deep. They bake a lot more evenly But if you can't afford all ML, then get 2 sets for wedding cakes at least.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%