Fondant Advice For A Newbie

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm by jdub253

FrostedFantasies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 7

So today I took a deep breath and used MMF for the first time. (I made it last night--16 oz. mm, 3/12 tbs. water, 2 lbs. conf. sugar all in a KitchenAid--sticky mess!)
After adding more sugar and allowing it to rest overnight, I rolled out a ball on the Wilton roll and cut mat with the correct rolling pin, etc. I got it on the cake ok (with BC already applied) but when smoothing it, my cake felt very squishy underneath.
Two questions: do you refrigerate/freeze your cake prior to applying BC? Then take it out, apply BC quickly then add fondant?
Also, my fondant kept sticking, so I kept adding confectioner's sugar to my hands and the mat/rolling pin, but now I have a slightly dusty look to my cake. Any suggestions?
TIA!

6 replies
Charmed Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 7

did you have buttercream under fondant? I apply buttercream and let it crust then I apply the fondant.

xstitcher Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:48am
post #3 of 7

First off try MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant - it's in the recipe section) it's way better than MMF.

You can chill the cake if you like for a few minutes in the freezer if you like before applying the fondant. Make sure you wet the cake a little before applying the fondant. Either spritz a little water onto it or use a slightly damp paper towel and wipe the cake with it. This will help adhere your fondant to your icing. As for the squishing of the bc, it sounds as though you may have too much bc under the fondant and/or you are applying to much pressure.

After I am done I applying my fondant I use a soft brush to wipe off any access cornstarch (or you can use powdered sugar or even a combo of the 2). I then use shortening to get the any remaining marks off, just rub the shortening onto the fondant gently and then wipe off any access if you like and the rest will be absorbed into the fondant.

leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:31am
post #4 of 7

Perhaps you had too much bc under the fondant.

hynest Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 7

I have had the same problem. I just skim the cake with bc and it was much better.

FrostedFantasies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 7

OK, so it sounds like i have too much BC on the cake prior to laying down the fondant. I was giving it a nice even coating, but probably TOO nice!
Thanks for the advice on everything--I'm going to try fondant again tonight (with my leftovers, then with the Michelle Foster recipe!) and see if it works better.
Thanks for everything!

jdub253 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 7

Add less water to the Marshmallows. I do not measure, just mix, so sometimes mine turns out pretty sticky. Try 2/3 of the recommended water. You can always add a touch more if you need to, or leave out a little of the powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%