Why Did My Cake Get So Dense?

Decorating By dsilbern Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

dsilbern Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

My scratch lemon buttermilk cake was so dense at the reception it was hard to cut. It wasn't dry just really ... well...dense and, texture aside, it tasted good. When I baked it I made a few mini cupcakes to see how it came out -they were great. I then torted the cake, froze it wrapped in a double layer of film, filled and frosted it frozen a day and a half before the event and then kept it refrigerated in a cake box. I was staying at my sister's overnight and apparently her fridge was leaking. (You'd think she'd mention that as I put my first ever wedding cake in there) And the bottom of the cake box was wet but the cake itself was untouched since I had it on a Wilton platform. Does anyone know why this happened? I was so annoyed! icon_mad.gif

5 replies
tigerhawk83 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 6

I'm hardly an cake expert BUT - do you refrigerate all your cakes? Refrigeration changes the texture of all baked goods - cakes, breads, etc. Ever notice how much stiffer a loaf of bread is after it has been in the refrigerator? Much stiffer than a loaf that has been frozen and thawed. I wonder if the refrigeration changed the texture of your cake.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6

I have a couple of things to consider

How done was the cake? I have found that certain cakes need to be on the slightly more done side or the layers can get extra dense. Sometimes it is as little as a few minutes difference between ultimately dense and light and fluffy.I especially don't worry about the extra doneness since the moisture seems to even out after they are frosted.

I don't think it was the refrigeration or freezing at all. Some batters are more sensitive. I have a great cake that makes forgettable cupcakes! But, it is my go to yellow cake, so I won't give it up

dsilbern Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

Ohhhh - good point about the baking time. I always pull things when they are just done figuring I can always cook/bake more if needed. This cake was just done with moist crumbs sticking to the tester and the top was light gold. I'll try letting it go a bit longer next time. Thanks!

brincess_b Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 6

some recipes that work as cupcakes, dont work as cakes. id suggest a personal experiment!

refridgeration and cakes are not easy bed fellows, if you cake isnt properly wrapped it can get problems - a soggy box might just be the problem. also, some cakes need to be at room temp to taste their best, so it might be that.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

Hi... Whenever I refrigerate my scratch cakes, the texture changes greatly. My yellow cake, for example, is my absolutely FAVORITE if I don't refrigerate it. Once I do, the taste is still there, but it's a little harder to cut (even if left out for a while) and it becomes more dry/crumbly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%