Red Gumpaste Roses Dilemma

Decorating By lilym Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 3:51am by lilym

lilym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilym Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I'm trying to do red roses but the gumpaste is getting really soft and the color is not as red as i want. What to do? Can i airbrush the roses just as they are (let them drying of course). Or will it bleed when they are on the fondant cake?

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 5

You can most certainly airbrush the flowers! Best to wait til they're dry so the moisture from the airbrush doesn't weaken them.

You can also dust them with red petal dust after they're dry. Then, pass them very quickly through steam from a kettle or garment steamer to set the color.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 5

I buy all my flowers in white and airbrush them the color I want. No the color won't bleed onto the cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 5

Hi!

Personally, I like to dust my roses. You either can start out with white paste or a lighter color paste that you will be dusting. I did a cake last weekend that had really pretty red roses on it. I used mostly Kiko petal dust, added some Cherry Love and then a bit of African violet. Mixed it all together and dusted away. See below...they were a really pretty, rich color.

Jen icon_smile.gif
LL

lilym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilym Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:51am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your help, i'll tried your method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%