Smash Cake

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm by schnumvf

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 5

I've never made a smash cake and I'm going to make one for Saturday. What type of buttercream is usually used for these cakes? I do not want to make shortening buttercream because it is way too greasy and we won't be able to give my son a full bath at the photo studio. This is obviously just for show, I doubt he's going to eat much cake.

What do you suggest?

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

use any ol' BC recipe you like and your son will eat.

but then, will he really be eating it at the photo studio? or is just for show? If for show could make it out of Royal Icing even.

Personally, I'd save the smashing of the cake for home and friends and family.

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 5

I have a few photographer friends that I do smash cakes for when they have "smash cake" sessions...I use just a half butter/ half shortening buttercream recipe and keep the colors light...I usually do just a white base and use pastel color accents and trim. HTH!

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 5

Funny story...about six years ago I did a first birthday for my best friend's little boy. The smash cake was that wilton stand up bear. I used a crusting buttercream and covered that thing in tiny "fur". The baby would NOT touch the thing! It was way too pokey. He would try to touch it with one little finger and then pull it away. It was their first baby and they were so disappointed!

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 5

I'd use the 50/50 butter/shortening recipe... and just like someone else said use LIGHT colors. My sons 1st b-day he had an Elmo cake. Elmo = red = HUGE mess. icon_smile.gif Live and learn! I've seen some great studio pictures with a smash cake. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%