How Many Hours Do You Sleep?

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm by peg818

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 16

How many hours of sleep do you need each day?

I used to get by on 4 or 6 hours. Ever since I broke my leg, I seem to need 10 or 12 hours of sleep. My husband has always slept that much but for me it's a new and weird thing.

So what's normal for you?

15 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 16

Hey Texas! I miss your happy little flower pot !

I usually get about 6-7.
I saw a sreport recently where they did a study and had women sleep a minnumum of 8 hours (they could sleep more if they wanted) and not change thier eating or execcise habits and a huge majority of them lost wieght. Just by sleeping a good 8 hours! Is that enough motivation to get some more sleep?? It is for me icon_smile.gif

Cheyanne25 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 16

I LOVE sleep. I need a full 8 hours. My hubby-to-be can't sleep more than 6 or he feels groggy (strange eh).

mrspriss0912 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 16

I get about 5-6 hours a night. Would love to get more heck...... would love to be able to have breakfast in bed and eat bon-bon's all day long but guess that is a dream in its self dose that count as an hour ?..... Sick twisted since of humor from lack of sleep icon_lol.gif

KKC Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 16

I need a full 8 to 9 hours sleep but I never get it...i usually get about 3 to 4 hours because any little noise I'm up and can't get back to sleep ugh. I have sleeping pills but I don't want to take them in fear of becoming dependant on them.

Shelle_75 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 16

I usually need 8-9 hours. Right now I have a baby girl who still likes to nurse once during the night, but I'm really good at doing it without waking fully. If I don't get my sleep, after a week or so I get sick, never fails. I feel for people with insomnia and stuff, that must be hell.

Texas, how long ago did you break your leg? If you're still healing, I can see why your body might need the extra rest. Hope you're feeling better soon!

lthiele Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:12am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I saw a sreport recently where they did a study and had women sleep a minnumum of 8 hours (they could sleep more if they wanted) and not change thier eating or execcise habits and a huge majority of them lost wieght. Just by sleeping a good 8 hours! Is that enough motivation to get some more sleep?? It is for me icon_smile.gif

That's all the motivation I need! lol

-Tubbs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 16

Texas, your body must need the sleep - it is restorative!

I usually get about 7 hours, sometimes a little more. My ideal would be 8 hours, but my DH gets up at 6am, and I can't often go back to sleep once he's up and about.

I do go through phases where I wake in the night, so I usually get up and sit at the PC for an hour or so until I feel I can go back to sleep. Always leaves me feeling a little hung-over the next day though.

TheCakerator Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 16

I "could" sleep all day! I don't and usually end up anywhere from 8 1/2 to 9. My husband says my brain and body are solar powered. Once the lights go off or the sun goes down, I'm out for the count.

-Tubbs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I "could" sleep all day! I don't and usually end up anywhere from 8 1/2 to 9. My husband says my brain and body are solar powered. Once the lights go off or the sun goes down, I'm out for the count.

Maybe you're a lizard! icon_lol.gif My son has a bearded dragon and he behaves just like that. Once Dexter's lights go out, he's asleep within a couple of minutes and stays like that until the lights go back on in the morning. I'm quite envious of him, actually!

mkolmar Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 16

I have sleep problems. I usually get only around 5 hours a night. I wish I could sleep more but I'm wide awake at night. This is even after a full day of work. Last night I got 6 hours of sleep and I feel like I could sleep all day if need be.
I'm trying to make it a point to get more sleep right now.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 16

I usually get about 5-6...I am up wandering around at least 2-3 times a night.Hubby wakes me up snoring..I am a light sleeper.. so I am always trying to find a extra bed or couch to sleep in...I also get up to go to the bathroom once or twice.I haven't slept decent since before I had kids...Go Figure!!

ziggytarheel Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 16

Early on, I learned that my ideal amount of sleep was 8 hours a night, that I could be fully functional on 7 hours, but more than 2 nights in a row with 6 or fewer hours sleep would surely mean a cold or worse for me. So, yes, I was the only one in college who not only never pulled an all-nighter, but also never studied after 9 pm. I'm not alert enough to learn much after that, even though I was fully capable of having a good time. icon_smile.gif

I went through a time of only sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night for months on end. A chronic medical condition grew much worse, I gained a ton of weight, and I was generally unhappy. It has taken me years to get back to being even capable of sleeping 8 hours a night. I worked at it rather methodically and I'm really happy for the change. Everything about life seems a little sunnier with more sleep!

I've learned that my productivity is so much better with a good night's sleep verses putting in extra hours when I'm exhausted. I have to hit the floor running in the mornings, but it is worth it for me.

Sleep is good. icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 16

well tubbscookies, thats almost how it is for me, except even when the lights come back on or the sun comes up, most mornings dh has to throw the covers off of me, pull me up by my arms, and walk me out to the kitchen. Even then, while I may be up out of bed, it doesnt mean I'm up and ready for the day! Although I have gotten much better. I used to get up at 8:30 while my dh was walking out the door to work, but now we have a sick cat who needs medicine at eight, so yes, I do get up at eight now. But it is a struggle.

maryjsgirl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #15 of 16

I have insomnia so three to four is about the norm for me. Been this way since I was a kid.

peg818 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #16 of 16

5 to 6 hours a night for me. Any less and i have a hard time in the morning. IF i didn't have to get up for work in the am i would probably easily sleep 8 or more a night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%