Damask... Need Help!

Decorating By mommyle Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm by leah_s

mommyle Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 25

The bride has a specific pattern in mind. I have a photo (sort of. She gave me a photo of a cake with the pattern on it, so I can't use the template from the photo, b/c the cake is round... Do you get me?) of the pattern that she wants, but I can't find it anywhere.

can you tell me where I might find a large variety of stencils? Or what gague shot gun is best to use on myself? icon_razz.gificon_cry.gif

TIA!!!!

24 replies
melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 25

I ordered the stencil from global sugar art for the damask pattern. it worked really well.

melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 25

I ordered the stencil from global sugar art for the damask pattern. it worked really well.

cylstrial Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 25

Could you post the picture that you do have? That would probably help.

But here are some damask patterns.
www.designerstencils.com

I made a damask cake recently. Check it out, it's my photo's. I did them all by hand with RI. If it's something you are interested in, I can explain the rest of the details to you.

mommyle Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 25

That's a wonderful cake, but what I really LOVE are the cupcakes!!!! My DH will try to scan in the photo tonight, so please stay tuned for the photo.

mommyle Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 25

This is the photo that the bride gave me. As stated, she wants the pattern from the 2nd tier.

All your help is totally appreciated!!!!
LL

xstitcher Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 25

I looked for quite a while but couldn't find the exact one (yet). The closest I could find was something called Flower Scroll Side but it had a bit too many flowers.

This site has a lot of stencils and apparently they make custom ones too.

http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=CTGY&category_code=CAKES

mommyle Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 25

So then here is another question... What if I buy that one, tape off the parts that I don't want, and just use the swirlly parts? Did that make sense?

Now, as far as actually DOING the design... Would you recommend taking the pattern and cutting out fondant, then placing the fondant on the cake for more of a raised effect? Not so confident with my piping and painting (especially in BLACK on a WHITE cake!!!!).

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!

cylstrial Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #10 of 25

You could probably do what I did.

I made the image the size that I needed it to be. Then I taped the image to a 9x13 cake board. Then I taped wax paper over the image. I used to RI to fill in. I let the damask shapes sit there for about 6 days and then I pryed them off, very slowly, using an angled spatula. I had very few pieces break. Then I glued them onto the cake with the same color of RI.

beachcakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 25

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it's made from scroll cutters. Stephen Bennison comes to mind. Maybe these?

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18734
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18691

xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #12 of 25

Those do look like a lot of the design beachcakes (especially noticeable on the front bottom tier) but it looks like they've added some more to it as well. I would definitely go this way as it would make cutting the fondant real easy.

beachcakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #13 of 25

I agree with xstitcher that there is more to the design, but i can't quite figure it out! icon_smile.gif Unless the comma shapes are cut from the scroll? I'm really not sure!

all4cake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #14 of 25

I agree, they do look like cutters...if not the stephen benison ones, possibly jennifer dontz...

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=cut043

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=cut044

or a combination....

mommyle Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #15 of 25

You guys so totally rock!!!! Thank you SOOOOO much!!!! I was really afraid of this cake, and now, well, it seems like a piece of cake! hahahhahahhahaaa!!!!

Thanks again for all of your help!

mommyle Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #16 of 25

Oh, and cylstrial, Thanks for the great technique! I wouldn't have thought of doing that!

all4cake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I made the image the size that I needed it to be. Then I taped the image to a 9x13 cake board. Then I taped wax paper over the image. I used to RI to fill in. I let the damask shapes sit there for about 6 days and then I pryed them off, very slowly, using an angled spatula. I had very few pieces break. Then I glued them onto the cake with the same color of RI.

If you use parchment (and Wilton works better than parchment pan liners), they slide off when dried. I found this out by accident icon_redface.gif . I had had some leftover RI. So, I taped some of the parchment to the side of some pans and began piping swags, ruffles, other side designs. I figured I could use them to decorate dummies if nothing else. The next day or so, they'd slid off the parchment onto the counter and some onto the floor (I had some of the pans on the edge of the counter). After that, I started piping my snowflakes, lace points, anything delicate onto it with VERY LITTLE breakage. I tried it with the parchment pan liners....uh, no...it didn't work as well.

tonedna Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it's made from scroll cutters. Stephen Bennison comes to mind. Maybe these?

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18734
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18691

I agree.. those look like the scrolls from Benison
Edna icon_smile.gif

mommyle Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #19 of 25

thanks so much to all of you! I ordered the set from Sugar Delights, because her set has more cutters, and I think that the set is what I need.

Ok, but I need to wonder how many hours you all spent finding these, because I looked for quite a while, and never found those! You guys are awesome!

all4cake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #20 of 25

I had heard someone else had used her cutters and typed in Jennifer Dontz into the Yahoo search field...sometimes, I get lucky.

cylstrial Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

If you use parchment (and Wilton works better than parchment pan liners), they slide off when dried. I found this out by accident icon_redface.gif . I had had some leftover RI. So, I taped some of the parchment to the side of some pans and began piping swags, ruffles, other side designs. I figured I could use them to decorate dummies if nothing else. The next day or so, they'd slid off the parchment onto the counter and some onto the floor (I had some of the pans on the edge of the counter). After that, I started piping my snowflakes, lace points, anything delicate onto it with VERY LITTLE breakage. I tried it with the parchment pan liners....uh, no...it didn't work as well.

Good to know! Thanks!!

tonedna Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 25

I am one of those who love to look at the online stores to see what new toy I can buy..Photographic convenient memory..I remember what I like..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I am one of those who love to look at the online stores to see what new toy I can buy..Photographic convenient memory..I remember what I like..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Heehee! Me too! They're on my wishlist!! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Heehee! Me too! They're on my wishlist!! icon_smile.gif

All of it is on my wishlist!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #25 of 25

That's definitely cutters

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%