Any Tips For Royal Icing Petunias That Stick To The Foil?

Decorating By LisaR64 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:41am by Cake_Princess

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 16

I can make a pretty decent RI Petunia, but it takes forever to dry, and most of them break when I try to get them off the foil covered lily nail. Any tips or tricks to keep the RI from sticking to the foil?

15 replies
rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 16

allow them to dry 2 to 3 days before removing foil. I made about 30 for a wedding cake in jan. I would remove a little foil every day until the flower was removed, but that is a risky move. good luck

HTH
Roger

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 16

Use Reynolds non-stick foil. It's amazing stuff! You may need to use floral gum or some other type of sticky substance to hold the foil in the flower nail.

You'll still need to let the flowers dry for a couple of days, but the non-stick foil practically falls right off!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 16

I let them dry a minimum of 4 days before removing the foil. Through trial and error, I've found that the cheap, no-name regular (not heavy duty) foil comes off almost effortlessly.

HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 16

Spray the foil cups with pam or some spray like that. Works great.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #6 of 16

I learned in the Wilton class to use the foil ( i think candy wrappers) from Michaels . They come in different colors, precut squares...saves some time cutting foil.
And use the shiny side up. I let mine dry for about a week before I even try to take them off.
They are one of my favorite to make.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Doesn't that break down the royal icing?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Doesn't that break down the royal icing?

No of course not. And you don't have to wait forever.
I mean a light spray--but sure it works great.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:24am
post #9 of 16

I ditto the light spray of grease. But, I make these all the time and use only cheap (thin) foil and I break the foil at the bottom so the air can get in there. After a couple days, they come right off. I only use ChefMaster merg. pdr. it's the BOMB!

Jen icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #10 of 16

for 13 yrs.. i have never sprayed with anything. i just use , thin cheap foil.. after several days of drying.. comes off really easy... sometimes, i use the foil from beauty supply stores. i was a beautician for years. ha!this foil is used to high light hair..

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #11 of 16

I used to use regular foil and had the same horribly frustrating problem of my flowers breaking... Now I use the Reynolds Non-Stick foil - I think it's called Release or something like that. It's wonderful!!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #12 of 16

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try both the non-stick foil & spraying regular foil and hopefully I'll be able to salvage more than my usual one out of ten flowers!

mudhen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudhen Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 16

I just did a wedding cake for my sister. She picked a cake with petunias on it, I've never made them befor, so I tried the foil, then the foil with the spray, then as a last try I used wax paper It works pretty good. You let it set up and you can take it out I left the paper on for one day or so I made about 200 just to make sure I had enough .
maybe this will help thanks first timer
Mudhen

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I can make a pretty decent RI Petunia, but it takes forever to dry, and most of them break when I try to get them off the foil covered lily nail. Any tips or tricks to keep the RI from sticking to the foil?

Use the cheap foil that's really thin. This makes it easier to peel off. As for the drying time. Poke a few holes in the foil prior to piping. This way the air can get to the bottom of the flower and dry from the bottom up as well.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #15 of 16

hmmm this is weird my dry in about 1/2 hour

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

hmmm this is weird my dry in about 1/2 hour

Drying time will vary depending on atmospheric conditions. If you live in a humid area they will take longer to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%