300Cupcakes...when To Bake?

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:43am by SJ169

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 19

Okay I have 300 cupcakes to make for this Saturday. I would like to start baking as soon as possible but I am worried that they will dry out.

So my question is when would be best to start baking? I have big boxes that I can put them in and seal them so the air doesnt get at them soo much....

TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 19

How about baking now and freezing them?

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 19

i was gonna say freeze too, as its a lot of work to be baking freshly and decorating them all, good luck ! x

SJ169 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 19

I thought about freezing them because thats what i normally do with cakes, but how would i freeze the cupcakes?? Would you just put them in a container? or freezer bags?? because i sure cant imagine wrapping each cupcake by itself!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 19

I freeze cupcakes all the time! Just put them in freezer bags or a huge container with lid. I have never had issues with them drying out! Good luck!!

SJ169 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 19

OO perfect I have super big freezer bags!

Thanks so much!

xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 19

Here's some links on the best methods for freezing cupcakes. I've frozen cakes plenty of times (I double wrap in saran and then heavy duty foil) but haven't done cupcakes yet. I usually make those for my kids with any left over batter and they get eaten right away icon_lol.gif. However I do know they can be done. If you do not want to wrap individually I would either put them in a ziploc bag (1 layer flat) or in a cardboard box and then wrap that with saran wrap etc.

Here are the links:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-637960-freeze.html+cupcake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-549463-.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633358-freeze.html+cupcake

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 19

Definitely bake now and freeze them babies in Zip Lock Gallon Bags. I put them in the bags after 3 mins of cooling on a rack (they are covered while on the rack).

HTH

Benisha

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 19

I made 330+ cupcakes last month for our kids' graduation party.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640141-cupcakes.html+theater+theatre

Here are some things I learned:
Bake them ahead of time, and freeze them in doubled zipper bags, being careful not to crush them.
Make the frostings ahead of time and refrigerate until needed. I suggest you make lot of extra frosting. If you use a pastry bag to frost them, you will realize you are using gobs more frosting than you anticipated on each cupcake. Re-loading the pastry bag takes time, too. And it's messy.
Don't underestimate the amount of space they will occupy in your freezer, in your kitchen when you are frosting them, and in your car if you have to deliver them; don't underestimate the amount of time it will take to frost 300 cupcakes; and don't underestimate the amout of time it will take to wrap and/or display them.

I would not store them in cardboard boxes as that will dry them out.

If you can get help to frost the cupcakes, I suggest you do it. It took me and my adult daughter an entire evening to frost the cupcakes-nothing fancy. We started out using pastry bags, but switched to knives & spatulas.

Here are some photos:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1410204
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?
Good luck!

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 19

Good luck! That is a lot of cuppies! icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 19

WOW that's allot of cc's. I've never frozen cc's before. Never had that many to make.

Okay I dont know why it posted... I wasnt finished writing.....

I hear you can freeze them in Ziplock bags but before when you place them in the freeze. You dont want to smush them.

And make your icing in advance so when it comes time to decorate them you have everything ready. I store my icing in old butter containers. They work GREAT!

best of luck to you!

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesha

Definitely bake now and freeze them babies in Zip Lock Gallon Bags. I put them in the bags after 3 mins of cooling on a rack (they are covered while on the rack).

HTH

Benisha

Benisha, you put them in the bag while they are still warm?

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 19

Sooo finally my update!

Okay so what i did was put 20 cupcakes per ziplock frezzer bag (the really big ones)...then i laid then flat one on top of another in the freezer.

I had noo problems with the cupcakes drying out or anything..everyone said that they were the best cupcakes they tasted! soo i was pretty happy!

ooo and if i dont see another cupcake for a while...that will be ok with me!

Lessons for next time!
-dont try to let friends help! if they dont know what they are doing..it takes about twice as long!

- i would have baked even further in advance

-hire a cleaner! lol my poor kitchen looked like a couple bombs went off! haha

thanks everyone for the tips!

xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 19

Glad to hear it was a success. Did you post the pics?

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 19

Awesome!!! Glad you made it through!

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks!
Yes i posted pics they are in my album.
oh lol and this was for a wedding present...haha next time i will just buy a gift! lol ... maybe

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewlora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesha

HTH

Benisha

Benisha, you put them in the bag while they are still warm?

I let them cool a little, then put them in the bag.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #18 of 19

Your cake and cuppies are wonderful! I like the stamps you used. Are those from the scrapbooking area? I really like the ring!

SJ169 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #19 of 19

Thanks...yes there were from the scrapbooking area at Michael's...they are the clear rubber ones,,,they are a little pricy but if you use a coupon their not bad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%