What's The Easiest Way To Do This?

Decorating By ybeal Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm by xstitcher

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for this weekend for DD daisy bridging ceremony. It will be fondant covered and I want to put the daisy insignia on it. How would you do that? I'm thinking of cutting the petals out of white fondant and painting them with americolor colors, can I do that? Do I have to do something to the color or just use it straight?

Or if any one has any other ideas I'm open to them, just looking for the fastest and easiest way icon_redface.gif

It looks like this:
LL

3 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 4

I would color small amounts of fondant the different colors, then either use an oval cutter, or cut out the Daisy with cutter, and divide the petals. Sometimes when you paint the color on the fondant, it will leave streaks.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4

If you're looking for the fastest easiest way, why are you covering the cake in fondant? That's neither fast nor easy IMHO. Besides, Daisies are pretty young girls, I don't even think they would a fondant covered cake. I would frost it in buttercream. You could do the daisy in fondant if you want, but I wouldn't cover the whole cake in fondant.

I know your question is how to color the fondant, so let me get off my soapbox now. It appears the petals are many different shades, so I would just take little balls of fondant and play with adding food coloring until I got the right shade for each petal. You won't need much fondant or coloring for each petal. I would do the whole daisy in white fondant and do the colored overlay in fondant also if you can get the right shades.

Congrats to your daughter. I was a GS leader for 8 years. Fell apart in the eighth grade ... toughest age to keep them involved.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 4

Do all the petals have the white outline on them or are they solid colours?

I think colouring the fondant is the easiest partially because you don't have to wait for the paint to dry. If you are set on painting then you can paint it on with a tiny bit of extract or alcohol (everclear or vodka). The more you add the thinner it becomes and you end up with more of a water colour effect. You could also buy food colour markers and colour it in.

If you do have to do the white outline I think it would look the best if you do LittleLinda recommended and make the coloured part as an overlay or an inlay if you want it all one level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%