Bulging Bubbles In Buttercream

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm by SeriousCakes

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #31 of 36

Thanks to all of you for the information on this topic. I just found out that a 5 tier wedding cake I did A MONTH AGO had bubbles "all over it" according to the MOB (I have yet to see the images, but I definately believe her as I just had it happen to a 8" round cake just this morning!) I have only started to have this problem in the summer as DianeLM mentioned having.

So frustrating. I'm going to try the pin prick method along with everything else I can find. I don't freeze, but I do refrigerate my cakes. I unwrap, fill and let them sit for at least 30 minutes before crumb coating (to be sure there is no surface moisture) and it still happens! Do you think it has to do with refrigerating after the crumb coat? (I use butter in my recipe, so I refrigerate). I chill all the cakes before stacking too and move them while they are still cold...is that "wrong"?

Thanks everyone! Happy to know I'm not alone in this world! Any additional advice is much appreciated.

-Michelle

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

(I use butter in my recipe, so I refrigerate).

Do you use a meringue buttercream or an American buttercream?

If it's American (uncooked) buttercream, it doesn't require refrigeration. The sugar acts as a preservative keeping the icing stable at room temperature.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #33 of 36

It is American BC. I actually do know that I don't really HAVE to refrigerate, but I just feel better that I do....I always have...I just can't get past not refrigerating icing. I guess old habits die hard. icon_redface.gif

The other reason I refrigerate is that it makes stacking sooooo much easier for me. I haven't stacked a cake a room temp in years (and the thought of it now makes my tummy do flips). I think I need to branch out a bit! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for your bit of info PiccoloChellie. I'm always open to info. from others!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #34 of 36

The thought of stacking a room temp cake freaks me out too. But, I don't refrigerate my cakes. When it's time to stack, I place the tiers in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. Just long enough to firm up the icing, but not chill the cake.

Linda5606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda5606 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:25pm
post #35 of 36

i just did two cakes on friday and one had a blowout and one didn't. i didn't do anything different on either cake - go figure.
linda

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #36 of 36

I had the bubble happen a lot last summer, never knew what caused it until after I did this cake:

Hubby suggested less frosting on the sides and that did the trick! It has helped that I started spatula frosting my cakes because I can see exactly how deep the frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%