Foam Board Questions...

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm by peg818

mindy1204 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 2

I have finally run out of my 10 inch cake board I bought for class so I was thinking of buying the foamboards and cutting them. What thickness should I get? Should I double them up and what do you use to cover them? I thought about baby shower wrapping paper but how would you keep the oil from messing up the paper? Also when you measure to cut them do you use the bottom of the pan or the top of the pan as a template?

TIA

1 reply
peg818 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 2

well, i would get the 1/4 inch thickness, it might be 3/16 not sure but its right around the 1/4 in mark. I use one thickness under a standard cake, if i'm doing a large sheet cake i will double. If doing a wedding i buy the 1/2 inch and will double that for the bottom board, its more support then i need but i like the look of a nice thick board. I cover with contact paper, then you can place a piece of parchment paper the size of your cake between the board and the contact paper, just make sure to glue it all down with a little icing or its gonna slide away on you.

To use the wrapping paper you talked about just cover with clear contact then use the parchment paper.

wanted to add to cut the boards i use the top edge of the pan if i want a little extra room, if i want alot of room for a boarder i will go up a pan size. IF i just need the board to be the same size as the iced cake, i use the bottom edge of the pan, and it will be a perfect fit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%