How Do I Do A Waterfall?

Decorating By newbaker1357 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm by beachcakes

newbaker1357 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 5

My son is wanting an outdoor scene on his birthday cake. I am very new at this and am stuck. He is 6 and has drawn out a cake to his specifications. I am so new at this that he has told me that I have to practice before I make the "real" cake for his party. I totally agree. I was practicing today with his eagle eye looking on. His cake will be a 9 x 13 with the dress mold from the wonder doll set on top of it so the waterfall can come onto the cake (his design idea). The waterfall will go into a river that opens to the ocean. How do I make a waterfall coming into the river? I tried some different tips to see how to do the splash at the bottom but I don't know which one to use. So far the best I can come up with is putting a lot of icing on the bottom and sort of pushing it up. I also have to make grass but from what I have read tip 233 is the best one for it which I will have to go and buy. Any tips would be appreciated.

4 replies
NatalieMarie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
I'm not sure how you're covering this cake but I only work with fondant so I hope this helps.
The way I make a waterfall is to dig out a 'well' at the top of the cake and a tunnel where you want the waterfall to go down the side of the cake and then cover the cake with fondant. Where the pool is, make a cylinder of fondant around where you want the water to go so it forms a dam. Then cover all the areas where the water will go with blue fondant, making sure it covers all the sides and bottom of the well, tunnel and pool. Fill the whole thing with piping gel and it makes it look like water and is thick enough to stay where you want it to go.

Suewillo Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 5

I have made water before and what I did was boil sugar and water to a soft to hard ball point with a candy thermometer. I then crinkled
foil and poured the hot sugar on the foil. Make sure you have the shape and tilt you want the water fall to be when it is hardened.
Colour it blue while still in the pot. The foil gives the water the look of refection from the sun.
Hope this makes sense.

Sue

newbaker1357 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both so much. I had never thought about doing it those ways. While I was trying some things today, my son took the bag and said let me do it so I can show you how to do it.

beachcakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 5

I did a camping/waterfall cake using royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%