Can I Somehow Get An Airbrushed Look Without An Airbrush?

Decorating By Oliviasmom08 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 1:15am by leah_s

Oliviasmom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oliviasmom08 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

I want to decorate a cake (probably with fondant) to have it look like the sky. However, I'd like the bottom to be lighter and for it to gradient to super dark blue/black on the top/center of the cake (similar to the sky in the attached image). Can this be done with just painting the color on? If so, any tips? Thanks!!!
LL

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 5

You can use the Wilton spray mists but you have to practice on papertowel first...They tend to sputter a bit...You can paint it but unless you are a really good artist/painter and know how to mix the colors gradually with a spatula etc..it is very difficult..however I have seen some awesome cakes by some cake artists!!

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 5

Yes!! You can! Thin decorator gel color with vodka and start painting (practice on scrap fondant first). The more gel the darker the color. Use a VERY good quality brush so the bristles don't fall out and get on the cake. I used a silicone bbq brush (because I didn't need it very detailed). You can also pat the color with white paper towel (I use Viva, always). That will give it somewhat of a sponge look. You'll find that the coloring acts a lot like water color paints. This is a great technique. I also finished with luster dust to add shine. Here's a sample of the technique on a red and orange cake I did. I wanted to the color to build and intensify on top. I wish I had a closeup. Good luck.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1432460.html

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 5

Oh, and the Wilton spray mists smell and taste terrible. They are really cool and work for certain things, but the taste leaves a lot to be desired.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

PME spray colors work well, although they are $$.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%