Fondant & Icing Question!!

Decorating By Kim4308 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 6:32pm by idgalpal

Kim4308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim4308 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a 30th birthday cake. I would like to only use pieces of fondant on the cake. What type of icing should I put on the cake so the fondant will stick to it? Nothing too sweet.

3 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim4308

I am making a 30th birthday cake. I would like to only use pieces of fondant on the cake. What type of icing should I put on the cake so the fondant will stick to it? Nothing too sweet.

Buttercream, cream cheese frosting, etc. Anything, really.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 4

whipped cream with some sugar (there are recipes on here) is about as unsweet as icing gets, but you cant do as much with it, in terms of design and intricacy, also, it has a shorter shelf life - and im not sure how well it gets on with fondant.
a tiny bit of popcorn salt (much finer than regular salt) can help to cut the sweetness a little bit. but icing by its nature sweet, theres not really anything you can do about it.
you can stick the fondant to your icing with a bit of the same icing, water or edible glue.
xx

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 4

I covered a birthday cake in white chocolate mousse and attempted to put fondant flowers on it. They slipped a little on the sides. The mousse was a little thicker than whipped cream, so I think I'd rule both those out.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1293094.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%